1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD setup for DV capture

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by nyck, Jul 22, 2003.

1. nyck

nyck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Western Digital 80Gb 8Mb cache 7200rpm HDD and also have a 10Gb 5400rpm HDD ,what would be the best setup for DV capture.From what i read this was how i was going to do it
    Use the 10Gb as the C: drive and use the faster 80Gb as the capture drive .
    Would it be best run Pinnacle stdio 8 from the 80Gb drive or from the 10Gb c: drive and just caputre to the 80Gb

thanks nyck

2. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From all the stuff I've read (but I admit little personal experience) the most important thing seems to be to ensure that the two hard drives are on different cables in your machine i.e. one is on the primary and the other on the secondary.

If you have both hard-drives on the same cable (one connected at the end connector as master and the other connected on the mid-cable connector as slave) they can't both be accessed at the same time so you might get glitches during capture if both need to be read simultaneously.

* The 10GB system drive should be primary master.
    * The 80Gb capture drive should be secondary master.
    * CD writers / DVD drives should be on the primary slave or secondary slave connector(s).

Your BIOS setup will show what's connected where...

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    What Origin has said is mostly true.
    Plug the drives in as stated and DO NOT install any software on the 80Gb drive. Make sure you use a HDD IDE cable and not a lower quality CD IDE cable as this can not transfer data at full speed.
    Make sure that DMA is enabled from device manager in Control Panel for both drives.

Mark.