1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bjay, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Bjay

Bjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A funny question perhaps, but when using a recorder with a HDD should one not keep using the same area to record on. For instance view your recording then erase it and re-record the next again. Thinking of HDD on PCs when after a while you have to defrag etc.

Also another question regarding this forum. How does one create a New Post. I only seem to be able to make a new thread. I thought that a post was the actual question and a thread a reply.

TIA Bjay

2. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just created a reply to your question therefore you must have created a post! :rolleyes:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    The relevant part of your statement should read:
    Thinking of HDD on Microsoft Windows PCs when after a while you have to defrag etc
    Problems with fragmentation are mostly associated with the MS file systems used. I have a TiVo that runs under Lynux O/S and it never needs the HDD to be defragmented and this is clearly stated in the user manual. We just accept the MS way of doing things as being the only or best way!

Mark.

4. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fragmentation is a non-OS specific issue. It happens because an operating system (any of them AFAIAA) will create a file and mark the HDD clusters that contain the file as used. Even after the file has been deleted, unless the next file to be created fits into those clusters, it will be put in the next available contiguous area on the HDD. This leaves a gap where the original file was. If a new file fits into but is smaller than the original gap, it might be placed into the gap -- but it will leave one or more clusters unfilled (ie a 1.5MB file in a 2MB gap could leave a 0.5MB gap empty). And so on...

As the HDD fills up, the OS will start filling those gaps, and will distribute chunks of the new files across one or more of those gaps -- ie they will be fragmented. The fuller the disk, the worse the problem. Not an MS issue especially, though.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its actually worse than that because when you do a partial erase, perhaps to remove the ads you are actually fragmenting the file and leaving 5 minute gaps all over the place which will need to be used as the disc approaches capacity.

This is why the panasonic, and others I guess give you a formating option to get rid of all these odds and ends all over the place. THis is probably more relevant though to the ram discs, which as they are much smaller will fragment almost immediately with editing and re-use, without erasing the initial file.

6. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, sort of. For years MS claimed NTFS didn't need defragging as it was so much better than FAT. Now we know it does need defragging, just not so much. The way of allocating HD space as you describe is just one way. There are other more intelligent systems that work differently and have far less fragmentation problems as a result.

7. Bjay

Bjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you probably realise I am a new user to this forum and perhaps I did not phrase my question correctly, apologies.

I have purchased a Panasonic DMR E100H and this is what I am referring to. I could not see anything in the manual relating to this possible problem with continually overwriting the HDD.

Bjay