Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HDD Recorders - Pioneer vs Toshiba RDXS32?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hutchingsp, Dec 29, 2004.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to start reading the monstrous thread on the RDXS32.

Until now I was considering a Pioneer 420, then I noticed it only has optical audio out.

My A/V amp only has one optical input and two co-axial, so if I got the Pioneer I would have to sacrifice digital audio from either the DVD recorder, or my Sky+

This got me looking at the Toshiba.

Already have the Pioneer manual, downloading the Toshiba one right now, but can anyone sum up any overwhelming reasons to go for one over the other?

Also I've decided to buy mail order simply because it seems no dealer can answer all my questions about RGB/Aspect Switching and the likes, so I'll try it and if needed return it under the DSR (dealers will offer exchange not refund).

Any tips on the cheapest place to order from from that might be able to deliver Friday (doubtful buy you can wish!).

thanks,
    Paul

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Richersounds generally have a good reputation for exchange after purchase and 'there may be a store near you'.
    www.richersounds.co.uk
    If you go to a store, phone to check availability of what you want.

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are "optical <-> coaxial" digital converters that you can buy, so no need to sacrifice on that.

Hope that helps.

4. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I was told about those shortly after, £15 from Maplin so I think it will be a Pioneer.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Paul

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    The Toshiba has progressive scan, component output, DVD-RAM and more picture tweaks/DVD authoring options than the Pioneer 420. It also has iLink but I guess if you were concerned about that you would be looking at the Pioneer 520.

The advantages of the Pioneer are PAL60 recording and disc backup. In every other way the Toshiba is the better machine. That's not to say the Pioneer is bad - it's not at all - it's just the Toshiba has the edge in features and is equal in performance.

6. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, as it stands I think I will be ordering a multiregion Pioneer 520 from Peter Tyson.

The thing that swung it is that the Pioneer has DV out, meaning I can hook it to my Mac and capture recorded programs over Firewire if I ever wanted to - a small thing to some but it means I don't lose the flexability that the Mac offers if I need it.

It's only going into a Panasonic 28" TV and that's not likely to change to a plasma/projector/anything better for a long time, so I'm trying to concentrate on what I will use over things that I can be 99% sure that I never will.

Thanks all for the advice.

Paul

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Apologies I thought you were comparing the 420 (non-iLink) machine with the Toshiba - the DV Out is indeed a good reason for opting for the Pioneer.

8. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering if I made the right choice choosing the XS32. I find it a bit noisy. Does anyone know if the Pioneer 520 would be quieter? However, I'm not sure if the 520 will handle aspect ratio switching or RGB because it doesn't seem to have scart sockets (looking at pictures in downloaded manual). Am I right in thinking fully wired scarts are required for these?

(By the way I think the 520 has component output the same as the Toshiba).

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    onzey, all HDD/DVDR combis make a little noise. Even if you went for a Panasonic - the build quality which is marginally higher than the Toshiba/Pioneer range - you would still get a fan noise. You could always open you case and fit a quieter fan (note this would void the warranty!) as a few have done here.

The 520 does indeed have Scart sockets (you are probably looking at the US manual) and would handle the aspect ratio/RGB. However it doesn't have DVD-RAM and has less authoring options than the Toshiba. I would stick with the RDXS32...

10. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the Tosh RDXS32 (from richer sounds) bought it approx 3 months ago and took it back the same week for a refund, i have been trying to find / decide on what machine to buy to replace it, just ordered a Pioneer 520 MR The reasons !!
    1) Toshiba has no ilink as stated already. :oops: :suicide:
    2) Toshiba has no smart link (this was my main reason).

Basically to get the tosh to record automatically from your digi box you have to use the magic eye supplied to tell the digibox what to do, this has to be in line of sight of your digibox (very messy).
    The Pioneer however connects by smartlink through the scart and is instructed by the digibox to start recording switch on /off etc, this means you can just set your digibox to record (if compatabile - mines a sony freeview) and let it work its magic.

Dont get me wrong the tosh is a good machine it is just missing some items i required.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    You were fobbed off with the outdated RDXS30 - a reasonable machine but one which lacked RGB input, DVD-RW recording and iLink - as well as a few other minor bits and pieces. The RDXS32 certainly has all the above.

12. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops sorry my mistake got a little excited cos i have just ordered the pioneer (was thinking of the pana e85, which i was debating) the tosh did have ilink cos i tried it from my canon camcorder (worked like a dream).
    I was definatley not FOBBED off it was the RDXS32, and it DOESN'T have smart link thats why there is a silly little magic eye thing supplied.
    :suicide:

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    No it doesn't have SmartLink so your well advised to go for the Pioneer if that's what you want. When I said 'all the above' I was referring to the list I had typed out (DVD-RW, iLink, RGB).

That silly little magic eye has just been copied by Pioneer by the way for their new models :) It may not look nice but it enables timed RGB recordings to be made.

Who spun you that dit!?! The unit has the standard analogue PAL-I VHF/UHF tuner found in all DVD recorders! The only difference between the two is the Pioneer one is quite weak - but then nobody in there right mind would use an internal tuner for high quality DVD recording anyway so it doesn't really matter.

The Pioneer is a good model - and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice - but it is worth looking at products thoroughly prior to purchase.

14. Dawg

Dawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My time with the Tosh was enjoyable, but i just cant believe they left the smart link facility out. I currently have my sony freeview connected to an 8 yr old panasonic vcr using smart link (RGB out), the vcr is totally controled by the sony box IE: switch on / off change channel, start to record etc this is very reliable. The magic eye has to be in line of sight to the box it is controlling, and in my case for the week i had it it was knocked all over the place by my kids, and when wifey made here nightly recordings and the digibox didnt change channel because the eye had been knocked, all hell broke loose and rants like " the old video recorder could manage to change channel etc etc"
    Maybe a small thing for the peeps who dont have the facility to use smartlink but a big thing for me since i already use it and have seen its merits.

I will report back when i recieve my new Pioneer 520, if i think it is better or not.(should be here this week)