HDD Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by tsutton, May 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not sure if this is in the correct section, so feel free to move to the correct section - thanks.

Now that I have purchased the Samsung LE40R74BDX which I should be getting tomorrow, I am now on the look out for a good HDD Recorder (not DVD)

However, because of my needs - I'm deaf - it MUST record subtitles with the show that is being recorded. And it need to allow me to copy the files to my PC (i.e. via USB, Ethernet, etc) and hopefully have the subtitles stream to go with it, so I can play back it on my PC. Unless I need an software encoder to save it?

I'm not 100% knowledge on this, so any help would be good.

Other useful features that I would like to see are:

* Records and playbacks HD shows (via HDIM plug?)
    * Editing within the HDD Recorder

Thanks,

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Yes; what you are looking for is often called a PVR and this should be in the PVR section or perhaps the Sky section (see below). Not immediately apparent to a new user I agree. Shame the PVR section is only identified by a term which not everyone is going to know.
    Anyway the only PVR which I know of that will receive and record HD material at the moment is by the Sky HD box/service.

The only non satelite way to get HD TV transmissions is Virgin Media cable; and as far as I know they do not have a HD PVR yet but I know little about VM. If HD recording is essential then this probably needs to be on the Sky/HD forum :D gets complicated dont it. Have a look on there anyway.

Freeview does not transmit HD so no Freeview HD recorders.
    If you can manage without HD I would suggest you look at the Topfield 5800 which should meet your other requirements (subtitle recording; editing and USB downloading) although I do not use any of either of these features myself with my Topfields. Other folk on the PVR forum can no doubt help more.

Richard

Edit Mods; can this be moved

3. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    *bump*

4. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I'd concur; the Topfield will do what you want (save for HD & HDMI).

You can turn subtitles off and on at will when playing back - they're always recorded. And I've viewed them on the PC after transferring files too, using VLC.

Nigel.

5. mentore

mentore
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  6. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    With the exception of the Humax and the Topfield, none of the others meet the requirement "need to allow me to copy the files to my PC (i.e. via USB, Ethernet, etc)"

I'm becoming decidedly sceptical about the reviews on pvruk.co.uk; a lot of it seems to be becoming not reviews, but requests for help, or people carrying on pointless arguments.

Nigel.

7. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look a them.

8. mentore

mentore
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And neither of these two -Humax or Topfield- has ,to my knowledge,a High-Speed USB connection that make a practical proposition of transferring the immense file that say an half-hour TV programme would involve....the USB2.0 connections offered are rather intended for small sound and picture files.

9. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Well, they're the only ones that have any sort of USB connection at all; and plenty of people with both do find it an emminently practical proposition. On the Toppy, the intent is certainly that you transfer video files, and I'm pretty certain that Humax suggest you can do so too, in their documentation.

Depending on the channel, a half hour programme will typically be between 500Mb and 1Gb. Not that immense, really.

In turbo mode on the Topfield, you'll typically have a transfer speed of around 1/5 to 1/3 of the running time - so for a half hour programme somewhere between 6 and 10 minutes.

There are various factors; longer or cheaper USB cables can slow things down, and if you use a network bridge then that's a bit slower too.

But the transfer speed is certainly as sluggish as people might infer from your post. It's far from impractical. For longer things, like films, you simply set the transfer going and do something else.

Nigel.

10. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Might take ages but its practical in that you stick the cable into the USB port and download programmes off the PVR which is why people use it. There extremely fast methods for extracting recordings off the PVR hard drive which turn out to be easy but something perhaps a power downloader would normally go for. Its possible to use this direct connect method to the PVR hard disk for PVRs such as the Digifusions, Thomson and Access Devices based PVRs as well as the Humax and Topfield PVRs.

11. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's starting to look like it might be a good idea to have HDD Recorder with DVD recorder included (2 in one) so I can record stuff to the HDD and if I want to transfer something to my PC, I use the DVD recorder.

So can anyone recommend one that can do above, and includes recording subtitles with the movie file and that is viewable on my PC using VLC?

Thanks,

12. reforse

reforse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A DVD/HDD will only have one tuner. This will take away a lot of the functionality of a twin tuner HDD recorder.

13. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I don't know how the DVD recorders handle subtitles; but I suspect that since they re-encode everything, it's not going to be a case of having a disc with playable subtitles on the PC, unless they're permanently burnt in.

The subtitles are present on the recording you copy from the Toppy and the Humax because the stream isn't re-encoded, and is just the same as the broadcast.

Nigel.

14. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Just to confirm Nigel is correct, subtitles recorded on a Panasonic DVD Recorder are encoded into the video picture and connot be turned off once recorded.

Hope that helps.

15. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm assuming it's because there is an subtitles stream included with the file and is switchable between displaying and not displaying it?

16. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The PVR9200T seems to be meeting my needs. Does this recorded file have subtitle stream embedded which I can view on my PC?

As my TV comes with Freeview tuner built in, I can just use the PVR9200T to record two shows at the same time while using the TV's tuner for watching.

Then I use the 'input' button on the remote control to switch to the PVR9200T and select a show to watch.

Can I use Component cable to connect it to the TV for better picture?

17. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    No; the only PVR with component as far as I know is the Topfield. It is in any event questionable that component from a Freeview source would give better PQ.

18. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    As Nigel says, yes the file downloaded to your computer will contain the whole transport stream and therefore have all the audio streams and subtitles.

Yes, although very often you can continue to watch the third channel on the Humax pvr even though it is already recording two other programmes.

There are no componant connectors on the Humax PVR however the Topfield and TVonics PVRs can deliver componant over its scart cables so you might just want to check out the price of something to convert/connect it from those two PVRs scart socket to your TV. However, due to the source it may not be relevant to expect a better picture through the componant change in this scenario.

19. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The PVR-9200T on the Humax website is saying it has USB 2.0 - is that a new one? The previous posters here are saying USB 1.0...

Can anyone confirm it?

Thanks all.

20. Knox

Knox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have you considered high quality headphones to improve the sound you’re trying to hear ?

I use Ultrasone (low radiation headphones) when watching TV to enhance the sound quality :thumbsup:

Same reason, half deaf !

21. tsutton

tsutton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's different... you're half deaf while I am totally deaf. I had hearing aids in the past and I doesn't pick up any useable sound.

But thanks for the reply anyway.

For others who is wondering, I've went with the updated version of Humax PVR-9200TB (with Freeview Playback) and I should be receiving it today. :D