1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD Recorder without DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cryocon, Sep 6, 2005.

1. cryocon

cryocon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally i would like a Freeview box with a built in HDD recorder, but sadly i live in an area where Freeview is unavailable yet. I therefore have Sky FTV, as i have just cancelled my contract due to not wanting to pay £20 for a couple of channels i don't watch. I have been looking round for a stand alone HDD recorder, but they all have a DVD recorder as well. I'm not bothered about backing up stuff to dvd as i will just be recording programs that i would miss if i am not in. Any other features like inputs for camcorders isn't important as i have my pc for that kind of stuff.

There seems to be a gap in the market for a stand alone HDD recorder that can record from a satellite set top box. I don't want to spend a fortune on a recorder and have looked at the Lite-On ones, but they are so ugly. So to the question, does anyone know of a standalone HDD recorder without DVD recorder or can they recommend an alternative.

thanks

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    AFAIK, it has to be (in a non-Freeview area) either $ky+, or, as you've identified, a HDD-DVD machine (preferably, in your case, one with Set Top Box control like the Pioneer 530). However, no doubt someone will recommend the all-but-obsolete (in the UK) TiVo.

3. cryocon

cryocon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just checked out the manual for the Pioneer 530 and unfortunately the EPG won't work for me as it grabs the data from Eurosport here in the UK and i don't have that channel.

Anyone had any experience with the Phantom PVR with a Sky box?

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Toshiba XS 34 controls my Sky box. I can input the Sky channel number in the timer and it will switch at the appropriate time. Has a 160GB HD.

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    That may be so but "cryocon" wants one without a DVD recorder.

6. cryocon

cryocon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like they don't exist though. I've just looked in Dixons and they have a Pioneer DVR-420 for £249, just reading reviews and going through the manual now to see if this is going to the one.

7. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yawn....

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    On page 29 the 530 manual says download works from ITV analogue.

9. cryocon

cryocon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But i'm going to be connecting it to my sky box so that won't work either.

10. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is no Eurosport on Freeview, but my understanding is that the ITV download carries the programme guide for the box/service you have, providing it is supported by GuidePlus.
    So Freeview box users get their digital guide (for compatible boxes) from ITV analogue - and assuming you have analogue TV available then you just plug the aerial through to the 530 .
    Check your sky box for compatibility on http://www.europe.guideplus.com/
    Click the Our Service tab and the receivers link is in paragraph 2.
    If your receiver is there and you set up a 530 correctly with the right box and using ITV it should work.

I suppose the downloaded gude may contain all the Sky channels you dont have, but then if you tried to record one you'd get exactly what you get if you select it on your sky box for your TV - like my Freeview box has all the TopUp channels but I just get a mesage that says 'encrypted channel' if I choose one.

I don't have the 530 (420 at present), but downloaded the manual, and this forum generally agrees with what I've said.

Finally, if you don't have analogue you would still be able to use the 530 to control the sky box, but it would mean setting the timer manually instead of using the programme guide. Of course, the 530 would still need to 'know' which (compatible) sky box you have to get the IR signal right.
    In this case the Toshiba 34 would work the same way (it doesn't have GuidePlus).

It may be useful if someone else would confirm all this :)

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    THere are one or two as you rightly point out, but they are either pants or ugly as you also point out! You are so limited with choice you might as well just get one with a DVD burner in it to get the better recorder overall. I see a 160g device in Aldi for pittance over on the offers forum. So what if you won't use the DVD bit, with the way the market is saturated with DVD recording devices it probably costs a manufacturer more to NOT have a drive in it anyway lol!!!!

Or TiVo - but no doubt you won't want to pay subs!

12. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How about an Archos (see here)
    I've got the AV4100 (the 7th one down) and it will do what you want (I think), it's also great for holidays!
    - video, Music and a storage device for all those digital pictures you want to take!
    the AV500 and AV700 look like they can do the same.
    Even the Mrs would recommend one! :thumbsup:

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've edited my post but it didn't move down the list.

14. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might look out for someone who has a DVD/HDD recorder with a broken DVD drive - like myself for example, assuming I don't get any joy from Toshiba about replacing the drive in my 18-month old RD XS32.

15. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In fact, either Eurosport, or ITV's terrestrial analog transmissions. So provided you have terrestrial analog reception (and it would be rare if you didn't) then you have your EPG.

16. cryocon

cryocon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for everyones replies. I've just got myself a Pioneer DVR420H, i know it's a bit old now and is going to be discontinued but for £250 i can't really argue. There seems to be quite a few different ways that it can be set up to record so i'll have to do a bit of experimenting.

I couldn't really justify spending anymore than this as i only want it to record the odd program when i'm out. I could have actually just plugged my VCR back in.