HDD Recorder with DIVX Support?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by UnknownSoldier, Aug 4, 2006.

1. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, I have just got sky installed and am now looking to chuck out my old dvd player and buy one that has a hdd installed. I need some advise as unsure what is the best or even if my requiements can be meet. Not sounding to abrupt I will list the functions I would like and then maybe you can say if they are possbile and what model may be any good.
    • HDD
    • DIVX Support (dvd's/cd's and off hdd
    • Timeshift (able to watch/record in realtime and pause watching, etc
    • timeshift sky tv
    • connect to PC for file transfer
    • Inbuilt cinema system

I must mention that Im not to fussed about dvd recording, and therefore just dvd playback/transfer to hdd or even no dvd tray and simply a hdd unit.

I hope im not being to demanding,

Stuart

2. javaman

javaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought LG RH-7800 that was around 350€ and has 160GB disk, support for DIVX/XVID and timeshift: I believe there is also a model which includes 5.1 cinema audio system and HDMI but not this one. The only way to move videos to PC is to copy them from HDD into DVD and then from DVD into PC.

160GB of disk is enough for 40 hours in HQ and 80 hours in SQ mode (both with resolution of 640x480) or up to 226 hours in EQ mode. I suggest SQ because in that case a 2-hour movie can get on one DVD. It supports DVD+-R(W) including double layer DVDs.

It supports Divx and Xvid (not all but most of them) including subtitles (even with strange codepages) but is limited in navigation: no fast forward/rewind but can be by-passed because you can type the time where to jump directly.

Divxs look better than DVDs and I am usiong progressive scan via component cable.

Timeshift looks great. You can jump over the commercials by I.SKIP button than jumps 15s in advance. Pieces of time-shifted video can be marked or recorder into HDD.

I don't know how it is connected to Sky TV because I don't have it so I guess if everything is OK, timeshift would work there too. What you should be careful is missing of RGB scart.

Everything on HDD must be copied into DVD to move it into PC. If you edit videos on HDD by recorder itself you lose possibility for fast dubbing from HDD into DVD. I personaly would rather move video into PC and edit there.

I've also found this link. And this.

3. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers mate, but there must be more than 1 person that is going to answer this question.

4. javaman

javaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully, yes. :(