1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD recorder with component in ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cral42, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Cral42

Cral42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I live in Australia and have a High Definition set top box to receive free to air HD digital. I am after a HDD recorder but want one that will accept the y/Pb/Pr signal from my set top box. I want a recorder that will take the HD widescreen AC3 signal and record it through the component cable. I don't know to much about the recorders yet and think this type of unit might not exist due to the extra memory/bandwidth that would be needed to store this signal. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cral42

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I'm afraid there isn't a High Definition recorder with component input available yet. As you are probably aware Panasonic and Sony have both launched BluRay devices in Japan - these are likely to see a US launch next year and then a worldwide rollout will commence.

3. PepeDuran

PepeDuran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG will have a High Definition PVR out VERY shortly.
    It will have DVI out
    :hiya:

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Don't think you'll ever get a recorder that will record AC3 sound through the component cable for the simple fact that component only carries video - you'd need to connect either a TOSLINK, SPDIF (and possibly Firewire if that becomes more common for sound) to the recorder - assuming manufaturers, broadcasters and film companies ever agree to let us poor plebs record AC3 through these input types.

5. Cral42

Cral42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I realise i'd need toslink for the AC3. I was basically after a HDD recorder that would sit inline with the settop box and record the exact info for later playback. So component and Optical.