• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hdd question

K

ketank

Guys, :hiya:

I have asked this question on a another discussion board but had it mixed with other questions (forgive if anyone has read) and just wanted to reliterate.

My New pc has 160g hdd, but windows XP only sees 141. (appx) i'm missing around 17G.
I know that its someting to do with binary convertion and you dont see all you hdd size but i seem to think 17G is ALOT..... is that amount normal...? OR should i get on the Phone to Dell?

melliott1963

You're right that the way that manufacturers calculate Disk size means that you don't really get as much as you think you're going to get. For instance, my work PC that I'm currently on has a 20Gb Disk, but only about 18.5Gb is available. Doing a straight multiplication up to your 160Gb, would give about 148Gb. It's possible that your 141Gb free is correct, but it might be worth checking the following.

Go to 'My Computer' and right click on it. There should be an option 'Manage'. Left click on this. Within the Computer Management window that should appear is a section for Storage, and within this is 'Disk Management'. Select this and you should see the status of your hard disk. It's possible that Dell haven't fully partitioned the drive and there may be some space left waiting to be allocated. If there is some unallocated space, look here to find out how to use it:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000

Hope this helps.

nokiauk

are you running with XP service pack 1 or 2 as prior to this large disks such as 160gb drives were not supported.

if not install SP2 then you should see a bit more space.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom