• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDD/PVR advice

JHWright

Standard Member
Looking to get a HDD to record via my ICECRYPT S2000C receiver, but have a some questions...

1) is any HDD compatible? Could I use one from bought PC World, for example?

2) can I store other data? I only need around 100gb for recording TV, but if I could back up my music/photo library, I would consider getting a larger one. I'm guessing by formatting the HDD this is not possible.

3) what data format are the TV recording actually stored in? I assume it's not the same format as video clips on mobiles/PCs (.3gp .3g2 etc.)

4) Are they powered via the receiver/USB connection, or do they require mains connection?

5) Does the HDD speed (rpm) matter?

6) Any makes recommended or to be avoided?

Cheers

MarkE19

Looking to get a HDD to record via my ICECRYPT S2000C receiver, but have a some questions...

1) is any HDD compatible? Could I use one from bought PC World, for example?
In general you can't connect an external receiver to a PVR as they are only designed to work with their own internal tuners. Your only real option is to get a HDD/DVD recorder but that will have limited PVR functionallity, especially if the channel you want to record is not on a standard EPG system that the HDD/DVD can use.
2) can I store other data? I only need around 100gb for recording TV, but if I could back up my music/photo library, I would consider getting a larger one. I'm guessing by formatting the HDD this is not possible.
Some PVR's can have MP3 music etc put on them, but not all.
3) what data format are the TV recording actually stored in? I assume it's not the same format as video clips on mobiles/PCs (.3gp .3g2 etc.)
Yet again it depends on which PVR you have, but no it won't be directly compatible with a phone etc so will need converting IF the PVR has an option for copying files off it's HDD - not many do.
4) Are they powered via the receiver/USB connection, or do they require mains connection?
They will require a power supply.
5) Does the HDD speed (rpm) matter?
Lower rpm is better as access speed is not criticle and slower spins speeds will be quieter and create less heat.
6) Any makes recommended or to be avoided?

Cheers
Well as stated you will need to be looking at a DVD recorder with a HDD rather than a PVR to record from your STB, or track down an old TiVo as they will offer the best PVR functionality and are the exception to the rule and can record from an external source.

Mark.

JHWright

Standard Member
Thanks for the info.

I think I've confused myself with what I'm after. I already have a digital receiver, the Icescrypt 2000C (spec here _http://www.icecrypt.com/attachments/058_S2000C.pdf

I understood that with the appropriate HDD I would be able to connect an external HDD via the USB port. Is this correct? It was advertised as a PVR Ready digital receiver, so I assumed this would be ok.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for the info.

I think I've confused myself with what I'm after. I already have a digital receiver, the Icescrypt 2000C (spec here _http://www.icecrypt.com/attachments/058_S2000C.pdf

I understood that with the appropriate HDD I would be able to connect an external HDD via the USB port. Is this correct? It was advertised as a PVR Ready digital receiver, so I assumed this would be ok.

It should be fine and I guess that it needs a fat32 drive. I guess that it's not clever enough to split recordings into 4Gb chunks hence the up to 2 hrs comment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom