hdd partition

andicapped

Ex Member
Reaction score
i think i've done something very very silly. my xp operating system died a couple of weeks ago so i decided to build up a media center instead.

guess what, got everything installed XP MCE, all media stuff i wanted everthing works brilliantly, how happy am i :D this is my first ever attemp at doing this and i'm surprised i got it working.

now the BAD news, went to rip a dvd and up pops a message "not enough space in C:/blah blah blah............... " thats very odd. i have one film and a few pics stored and very minimal software, (my HDD is 160gb) look at my C: drive and it has 20gb of space and 3gb left. what the hell??????????????

i think i may have made a partition when installing XP MCE of 20gb as i was told to do after a search on google. so where is the other 140gb gone? is it lost forever? to get at it would i need to do a total reinstall?? someone help, otherwise i'll have to go a buy an external HD and i didn't want to do that yet.

:lease::lease::lease::lease:

The space will still be there, no worries.

Start > Run > type "diskpart".

But find out about it and make sure you know what you're doing first, as you risk deleting eveything.

thanks badger0-0

any chance you could point me in the right direction as to what i'm doing? any how to's you know of or a guide that'll tell me exactly what i've to do.

as i mentioned i'm not an expert, i'm very much a beginner and i certainly dont want to loose everything i've got working so far (took me several days of constant fiddling to get spdif passthrough working)

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management.

Then, click on Disk Management. On the right hand side it will show a diagram of your disk and its partitions. It will show C: as 20Gb, then it will show the remaining 140gb as unallocated space. Right-click this and select Create Partition. After the partition is created you will then need to reformat the disk.

Your 140Gb is then re-claimed!

nburg's got it :smashin:

Bear in mind though the partition will not be drive C, it'll have another letter.

There are programs that can merge the partitions, like PartitionMagic, but you would have to pay for that one.

dunno what happen then, posted twice (sorry!!!)

thanks nburg01, i'll have look. you mention formatting the disc, what do you mean? how do i do that? and will i loose anything i've already done?

right, i'm getting there, do i need it to be a Primary or extended partition?

does it matter? i'm going to use it to store films,music,photos etc for use with Media Center thats all, wont be used for anything else

ok, i'll be back shortly with more questions, i'm sure :D

thanks for all your help guys, i owe you a pint

everything seems to be working, its formatting as i type so hopefully its all good, now to tell my software where to find files :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom