• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDD or MiniDV

puyo

Standard Member
My old sony miniDV is beyond repair and would like to buy a replacement. I'm considering an HDD-based camcorder, but wondered if there's anyway of upgraded the HDD if 1.8" HDD becomes cheaper in future. Also is there any camcorders out there that records on full 4.7Gb DVDs not 1.8 mini DVDs. I heard from a few people that DVD camcorders are not reliable i.e. fussy with certain blank dvds, unable to find end of recording etc... Please help as i cant decide which way to go, and any recommendations on camcorders will be appreciated. I was thinking of Sony DCR-HC96 (mini DV). I cant afford proper Hi-Def camcorders since i have just replace my TV and DVD player. Thanks in advance.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I don't believe there is any way to upgrade the HDD in a HDD camcorder.

And I don't think there are any DVD cams which use full size discs. You are correct that there can be issues with reliability.

In the price range of the HC96 (if they are still available) the quality of the HDD cams won't be as good as the HC96.

rhubarbe

DCR-HC96 is a very good choice as is the NV-GS320 Panasonic in the same sort of price range. HC-96 also has AV-in for those that need it.

HDD camcorders generally are not upgradeable in terms of HDD and there are no cams (AFAIK) that take a fuil size DVD. You are right about DVD cams, very unreliable.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom