Quantcast

HDD format for use on Windows 7 and PS3?

skeggyrik

Novice Member
I have a 60Gb external drive. I used it to lump data between my PC and the PS3. I formatted it to FAT32 on my old XP machine and both read from it without issue :thumbsup:.

I've since upgraded my PC and i am now running Windows 7. The drive mounts when attached to the PC but i don't get the drive icon and so can no longer use it on the PC (or any other windows 7 pc as it turns out) If i format it to NTFS I'm sure the PC will read it but the PS3 then won't.

The fact the pc doesn't see the drive also means i can't even format it if i wanted to. I do have access to my old xp machine so i can reformat it but what should i format it to?

What format do you guys use to connect to a windows 7 pc and a ps3?

I'm thinking if I format it with the xp machine to NTFS i can then use the windows 7 machine to format it to FAT32 and then hopefully it will read it? My thinking being that the issue is because it was formatted to FAT32 on a non windows 7 pc? Don't see why it should make a difference.

My understanding was that Windows 7 can read a FAT32 drive but it seems not.

DJSigma

Banned
Windows 7 can most definitely read FAT32 drives and partitions, so the issue lies elsewhere. It could still be down to a quirk with Windows 7, but it's not because 7 can't read FAT32.

If you go into Disk Management (Start - Search - type in "disk management" and click on "Create and format hard disc partitions) does the drive show up there?

skeggyrik

Novice Member
It does show up disk management but it is not assigned a drive letter.

When i try to assign one i get the error message:

"The operation failed to complete because the disk management console view is not up do date Refresh the view by using refresh task. If the problem persists close disk management console, then restart disk management or restart computer."

No use though.

I have deleted 2 partitions that were on there using disk management to leave the main one but it still doesn't recognise it.

I'll try and format it to FAT32 on this PC and see if that works.

Thanks for the posts.

skeggyrik

Novice Member
Installed Swissknife on Windows 7 despite the warnings it gave about incompatibility. it worked fine so i formatted the drive again on the windows 7 pc and all is well on there and ps3.

:thumbsup:

EDDIE1970

Novice Member
ps3 harddrive is in fat 32 format windows xp is ntfs format so i would assume windows 7 would be ntfs format as well
If you are trying to connect any hard drive or usb device to a ps3 and its not formated to fat 32 your ps3 will not regonize it

RogerFinch

Standard Member
had this before.

download ubuntu from ubuntu.com, burn the .iso and boot off the disk, choose the option to run it from the cd (obv don't install it!)

once loaded you can see the disk with gpart and can then format all of it as fat32. windows will only format up to 32gb I think.

windows 7 and the PS3 will see all the space fine. (I've done this on a 160Gb lacie one)

ntfs will not work with a PS3

ta :thumbsup:

Uridium

had this before.

download ubuntu from ubuntu.com, burn the .iso and boot off the disk, choose the option to run it from the cd (obv don't install it!)

once loaded you can see the disk with gpart and can then format all of it as fat32. windows will only format up to 32gb I think.

windows 7 and the PS3 will see all the space fine. (I've done this on a 160Gb lacie one)

ntfs will not work with a PS3

ta :thumbsup:

That's a very convoluted way of doing what you can do in seconds with either the command line or GUI version of Ridgecrops excellet Fat32format tool. Free at links below...

CMD Line version
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

GUI version
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd