HDD DVR Blu-Ray recommendations

atd1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I wonder whether the resident experts here would be good enough to recommend a machine to fulfil the following requirements: -

DVR With good capacity hard disk
Good quality playback specification
Multi region - or easily tweaked
Blue Ray play-back capability (HD recording would be a bonus but not essential)
Recording / playback of DVD RAM (desirable)
USD interface (desirable)
Digital tuner

I've never got along very well with Pioneer but would accept that manufacturer if there were a machine of the right specification.

Thanks in anticipation.

There's not much choice. In fact, the only Blu-ray players with DVD/HDD recording ability are these Panasonics - http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/2367318/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html. They also record in HD onto their HDDs & BDs - but with copyright restrictions for many TV HD transmissions. They also have twin Freesat HD tuners.

There's a lengthy thread on these machines at http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-...reesat-pvr-dvd-blu-ray-recorder-part-two.html

Thanks very much for that. Perhaps most folk with such requirements go for two separate boxes.

Thanks very much for that. Perhaps most folk with such requirements go for two separate boxes.

It may depend how urgently you require such boxes , because we are likely on the cusp of getting HD Twin tuner machines based on Freeview instead of Freesat.

That said - There is no certainty of this... and 'cusp' may be an inappropriate word as it may take a year or more before such devices appear.

Also - their use does depend on you being able to receive Freeview HD which is only to be in select areas in the immediate future.

Otherwise a two box solution may suit.

For the best of conventional DVDR's have a look at the Panasonic EX79 or EX89. Detail available here.

Or even three - twin tuner PVR (Freeview or Freesat); DVD/HDD recorder, such as Gavtech suggested; & a Blu-ray player.

Or even three - twin tuner PVR (Freeview or Freesat); DVD/HDD recorder, such as Gavtech suggested; & a Blu-ray player.

Good spec except for scart apparently being the only input interface for other devices (a HDD Sky box for example).

The audio discriminating 'advert skip' is very attractive.

Haven't check the multi region requirement, which is vital!

Good spec except for scart apparently being the only input interface for other devices (a HDD Sky box for example).

That is universal. You cannot get around this one.
Recorders will never have HDMI inputs capable of recording HD.

Haven't check the multi region requirement, which is vital!

This is another point of all DVDR's.

None are multi-region ... as delivered from the factory.
They have to be made so either by yourself or the vendor... Always best done by the vendor as the warranty remains intact, which is voided if you do it yourself.

Not all vendors will do it , so you need to check.

Thanks.

I know about the HDMI issue - was hoping for a component input at least though.

I went through some pretty technical methods to make my Pioneer 550HX non regional. Some are easier than others(!), so I'd like to avoid too much of a struggle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom