HDD-DVDR or Sky+ & DVDR?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JimSpriggs, Oct 24, 2003.

1. JimSpriggs

JimSpriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice on whether I'm better going for a standard Sky box and a DVD Recorder with HD Drive, or a Sky+ (with it's own HD Drive) and a "standard" DVD Recorder? Or should I go mad and get Sky+ and a HDD-DVDR?

Supplementary questions:
    Which makes most sense? Why?
    Is Sky+ the only way to get 5.1 output from your recordings?
    Is there any way to get RGB from Sky to Amp to DVDR to TV?

Looking forward to hearing your views.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    This is by far the best solution - and the one I have gone for - it enables you to make high quality, editted recordings from Sky that maximise quality by filling the disk. For example you record everything in XP mode (1 hr per DVDR) onto the HDD, edit and dub to DVDR using Flexible Record. If you can afford this do it!

The second best option (IMHO) is to get a HDD/DVDR combo (as this allows timeshifting and DVD recording) but it's not anywhere near as user friendly as Sky+.

Why not get Sky+ now - asses whether you still want DVD recording and, if so, then buy a HDD/DVDR combo?

At the moment.

Not without some loss of quality (i.e. by conversion). Better to route the picture Sky>DVDR>TV. Why would you want to send the picture via the Amp?

3. JimSpriggs

JimSpriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that

To use the amp as a central switch for everything. Trying to make it as easy as possible for the whole family to use.