HDD DVDR - Advice please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cpt.Crowbar, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Cpt.Crowbar

Cpt.Crowbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, first post, i got referred to this forum for advice.

Im currently in the market for a DVD Recorder with HDD, i dont see the point in getting one without a HDD.

I don't really have any model in favour yet, so any opinions would be great.
    I Live in NZ and there are really 3 options that ive seen, they are philips, pionner and panasonic.

What i care/dont care for :

Live TV Buffer - MUST HAVE, seriously what is the point in a HDD Recorder without a Buffer, must have good features there too, ie Pause/replay/rw/ff etc. (is it right that the philips is the only deck that automatically buffers TV? i thought that would just be an expected feature for a HDD recorder?)

Quality - Not to worried about super-fantastic, but would like good :)

Connectivity - would live a unit with decent in/outs ie Component and Digital optical out (not worried about firewire).

Format - doesnt really worry me, mostly we'll be watching shows that are recorded on the HDD then deleting, i'll only be recording 'must keeps' to DVD's - Rugby will be one thing that will be put on DVD alot.

Editing - Meh, i doubt ill be doing much of this, as long as it has basic editing ie removing adds or half-time breaks etc, that suits me fine, that is what the PC is for :)

User interface - I can usually handle not-so-user-friendly system after a few rounds, so its no biggy, i'll just have to learn the partner how to do it :p

I Doubt the NZ model has a EPG as i doubt our TV stations will support it, and generally speaking im going to be Recording from out Digital Cable TV and/or Sky Digital.

Sorry for the long post, but this is gonna cost me a good $900 NZD so i want to get a unit that does what i need, i'll do some research myself but ive heard you fellas are pretty clued up :).

Thanks again.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Philips and JVC models both have a 'live TV buffer', i.e. they record even though you haven't pressed record. Other models, such as those from Panasonic, Pioneer and Toshiba, record only when you press 'record' - you can timeslip on recordings though to watch programmes that are currently recording.

Ensure you research Philips DVD recorders before you consider buying one ;)

3. Cpt.Crowbar

Cpt.Crowbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, after reading these forums about a few models i see the Philips one has exactly what i want, but some people have problems with it, so last night i emailed philips NZ (1am NZT) with some questions, a guy who was very helpfull, rang me at 8:15am... now that is some speedy service, i think maybe Philips NZ are slightly more onto it, heh.

/me keeps looking.

4. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also in the market for a DVD Recorder wth HDD. I'm thinking of settling on an LG RH7624R. It's inexpensive, 250GB HDD, firewire, most formats (except DVD-RAM). Seems decent enough.

Also heard not to touch Philips, and the Panasonics are pricey!