1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD/DVD Recorders.....Help Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dts borg, Nov 16, 2004.

1. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My Philips 880 has started to play up :devil: So I started looking for a Multi Region HDD/DVD Recorder that would have 80gb HD, Componet out, DV i Link Can I find one :confused:

Can someone please help?
    Which is the better Panasonic, Pioneer or Toshiba? will Sony bring out a 80/120gb HDD/DVD Recorder?

Have around £400 budget

Thanks............dts ;)

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Toshiba.. but thats only cos I have 1...

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    I think the Toshiba is likely to be the best choice here as well. The other options (the Pioneer range don't have component) are the Panasonic E95 or Sony RX900 - both of which are a little out of your price range. However this isn't a big problem as the Toshiba RDXS32 does everything you want well.

4. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So whats the Toshiba RDXS32 like with it's Picture and sound quality?
    Is it a breeze with it's DV i Link editing? Dose the Tosh run quiet?

RGB have this for £369 which seems a good price :rolleyes:

I could loose the Component problem as I would be coming out my Sky + via scart going back into my Toshiba 36ZP18Q TV.
    So would this make the Pioneer DVR 520 a better buy over the Toshiba?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    It does a good job. It's DVD playback is arguably the best from any DVD recorder.

This is subjective. Some people here consider it to run silently, others think it sounds like a hoover. To be honest though all HDD/DVDRs have fans and all have come under attack/given praise for being loud/quiet. It entirely depends on the listener...

Editting of anything is easy. Note though it does not allow DV editting - as you dub you recordings across it is encoded into DVD standard MPEG2 - so the system isn't quite as flexible as a PC setup. But then that is always going to be the case with set-tops. The Toshiba is as good as you will get.

No. Even without the component the Toshiba still wins hands down over the Pioneer. More DVD authoring options, DVD-RAM support, iLink (the 420 doesn't have it) etc.

6. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer 520H does have i-Link and it's bi-directional (if that matters...).

I'm buying a Pioneer 720H right now.
    My TV is a Philips 100Hz 28" unit, and by the time I'll have a bigger screen (and possibly the need for progressive components out), the recorder is going to be out of date and needing replacement... :D.
    I really wanted to buy the Sony HX-900 (cheaper over here), but the lack of JPEG pointed me somewhere else - Pioneer was just in front of me with the editing options I needed. To get (much) more, I have a PC!

To me, a DVD/HDD recorder is just a replacement for a VCR with all the inherent advantages. It shouldn’t be seen as an editing machine. Said that, some editing features should be included as split/join titles and A-B cut.

Pioneer lacks the +R(W) compatibility and components out (and, if you want, electrical digital output). I really think DVD-RAM support is not a problem - why should I have a data support that is (almost) totally incompatible with today standards? In fact I do find it to be an 'old' thing (pointing me to other options), but this is just a personal feeling.

I've never seen a Pioneer at work, hope it gets my job done :cool:

7. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 520 has i link and, as i have found, it is not fussy about the type of discs it reads AND writes.....unlike the Toshiba xs32. (I took mine back it was so poor)

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Perhaps because it's the safest medium to store your video recordings?

9. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't know it was the safest... but Beta was the best video format too...

All my important data, like my digital camera photos, are recorded in too different media, from different manufactures, and store in different locations (not in the same house). That's my safety precautions.
    Don't really need 'safe' video recordings - but that's just me! :thumbsup:

ps - my DV editing (D8) is stored both in Digital8 tapes and some DVDs (different locations too)

10. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may alredy know this and it's a bit off topic (apologies too) but there is a known problem with the laser assembly on the 880 and if you contact Philips they will repair it FOC provided you don't have it longer than 2 years (still worth a call anyway if you do). If you need contact numbers let me know and I will post them for you.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    LOL! Your new to this game aren't you? I assume from your comment your implying that DVD-RAM is a 'Betamax' format. Quite apart from the fact that Betamax only ceased production in 2001 suggesting it wasn't really a flop, there is also the small issue that, in the worldwide takeup of set-top recorders, DVD-RAM is the dominant format. It's support from Panasonic (whose gross annual sales now outnumber Sony), JVC (3rd largest consumer electrical company), Toshiba (5th largest consumer electrical supplier), Samsung and Hitachi put it at the forefront of the consumer electrics market with more R&D going into RAM units than others: which is why most of the new features appear first on DVD-RAM machines - ethernet, PC/SD card slots etc etc. Not that it matters one way or the other according to EHC in the UK the Panasonic E55 is currently the best selling DVD recorder...

12. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must have a look at your local market... come to POrtugal and see if DVD-RAM is a 'valid' option.

I'm not saying that DVD-RAM is a Betamax, which isn't. But don't say it wasn't a flop just because it only ceased production in 2001.

I believe you know better than me (at least about DVD recorders) but believe me, DVD-RAM is NOT an option (to me). At least as soon as a HDD is present.

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have a sat or freeview box you can loop the RGB output through the Pioneers so you can view, record and play in RGB Also the Pioneers will loop the scart through when recording analog from its internal tuner. I'm not sure if Panny or Tosh do this. And you save a scart from the sat/STB to the TV.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The Toshiba does that - the Panasonic models do not.

15. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the help guys :smashin:

Toshiba RDXS32 was my choice in the end :rolleyes: will post back my findings when I get it up and running :rolleyes: