1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD/DVD Recorder Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barzo, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Sorry to start a new thread, but I thought there might be a benefit in having a centralised place to discuss operating noise of DVD/HDD recorders, as this seems to be a recurring theme throughout this forum.

To get things started:

(i) Tosh RX32 HDD - my unit has obvious fan noise. Not in standby, but from the moment the unit starts up, until it is switched off. Noise does not increase or decrease throughout any operation. It is clearly audible from about 3m away, in the same way that a PC fan is, but not quite as loud. Clearly audible during quiet passages. I assumed that this was just general operating noise, but am now not so sure, given postings by other '32 owners.

(ii) Panny E55 DVD - (which I replaced). I had two of these units. First had no real fan noise, except when finalising a DVD-R, when it was very noisy. Second has background fan noise when operating, but noise did not increase when finalising.

To put things in perspective, my equipment is on an open, Soundstyle rack, so noise is not masked by cabinet doors or walls. I will be interested to note whether it is masked by low level hum from subwoofer, which I can't tell at the moment as my Mission AV speaker system is off for repair.

2. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same fan noise on my RDSX32, doesn't bother me when i'm burning DVD's but it would when watching something.

I had thought about fitting a Fanmate to regulate the speed and noise. I don't think it really requires the fan at full speed to be cool.

3. Normandy16

Normandy16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would agree with the above re the Tosh 32. There is a low level "air movement" noise - like a quiet PC. It initially did annoy me during quiet passages [or when I've got the audio muted during those :censored: adverts].
    Seeing some posts I did consider sending it back to get a "quiet one", but I'm not convinced they exist, it's possible that it's down to personal perception and how much it annoys you.
    If I knew there had been a mod or design change then maybe....., but I've decided I'm happy to live with it, it's not that much of a problem

4. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I'd agree with the above and I'm happy with the unit and have no wish to take it back for what could be a 'holy grail' of a 'quiet' machine. :smashin:

I'd always suspected that HDD machines sounded noisier than simple DVD players, and so was expecting some noise. Still quieter than the crunchings and whinings of a VCR motor, though! :)

However, just to make sure, I've e-mailed Toshiba Customer Services, outlining the fan noise 'issue', to see whether this is a malfunction or the design operating correctly. Will let you know the official response once I receive it.

5. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was wondering what the fans on these machines are like/ I don't own one of these DVD units.

It is possible to improve/cure fan noise on cheap computer fans like these...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040629182203423&moduleno=32007

Remove the label under the fan, add a tiny drop of oil (and I mean tiny) to the centre spindle . Replace the label.
    This has worked for me on the couple of fans that I have used to cool a couple of my own digiboxes. They are running at around 6v.

6. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Many thanks for the handy hint, although I'm a bit squeamish to try it. Have now heard back from Toshiba Customer Service (less than 24hrs response time - excellent) and they confirm that as the RD-XS32 has a built in fan we would expect that the level of noise coming from this could be compared to that of a PC. They did suggest that if I found the noise excessive to contact them by phone. This puts my mind at rest, at least, and hopefully will others who have read of 'silent' machines elsewhere.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agree with normandy. Its personal perception.

With all my kit off (AV kit :)) and the hdd on I can hear air movement from 3m away. The PS2 is much much louder.
    the VCR is louder when playing.
    Its about the same as the Proj on ecomode and masked by proj on full lamp.

Its on an open rack and [oops] it has the VCR stacked on top.

8. Alanji

Alanji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As posted on another thread, I spoke to an engineer at Toshiba wha admitted there had been problems with fan noise on the XS30. He said the problem had been reduced on the XS32 and he had one himself and could not hear the fan noise from the other side of the room. The fan noise is louder than my PC fan and does not alter. There is also a noise from the DVD drive but only when first switching on or inserting a disc.
    I do not have particularly sensitive hearing and the fan noise is clearly audible from the furthest point of the room (6m) with sound switched off (Tosh is not in a cabinet).
    I am currently awaiting my second replacement (first replacement was a returned unit and noisy). If the next one also has the fan noise I will probably accept it as, apart from the noise, I am delighted with the Tosh.

9. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must be one of those lucky owner that did not have problem with fan noise from the Tosh.
    I do have sensitive hearing and cannot tollerate humming/whirring noise.
    Just for the record, my recorder is on the bottom shelf of my AV wooden cabinet, which were originally used to shield out the mechanical noise generated by the two VCRs.

10. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've put a Fanmate in mine today and its a helluva lot better now, the unit has a Maxtor hard drive in which I believe doesn't have fluid bearings and that's almost as noisy as the fan.The unit has a kind of plastic or perspex divider inside which separates the power supply and fan area in the case from the DVD and hard drive area.

I believe its there to channel the hot air to the fan, most of the heat seems to eminate from the power supply.