1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD/DVD-R - why multiregion ? NTSC ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by applevenus, Dec 14, 2003.

1. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to the great information on this forum I've narrowed my choice of HDD/DVD-R machines down to either
    Panasonic DMR-HS2 or Panasonic DMR-E100 or Pioneer DVR-5100H

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Panny HS2 but in the meantime my question is this :
    if I opt for a multiregion version of any of these machines does that mean that the DVD-R discs I record are also multiregion (or maybe region 0) - or is this the default behaviour regardless of whether the machine is region 2, multiregion or not.

Is it possible on any of these machines to write an NTSC DVD-R ? (or is that asking a bit much ?)

2. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    apple,

All discs written by these machines will not have any region coding on them whatsoever....

The Region of the machine solely covers what commercial discs can be played back.

I have a Panny HS2 and you can manually set the Picture type to record PAL or NTSC sources. Although I haven't done so yet, I believe when writing an NTSC recorded source to DVD-R, it will write in NTSC also...

You cannot mix sources on the same disc though so you would need to burn the entire disc in PAL or NTSC.

3. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ! That's made me want one of these boxes all the more !
    (I can send stuff to family & friends in the USA).
    now.... to find a site that will ship to Ireland....

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course,you can only record in NTSC from an NTSC source.The machine will not convert PAL into NTSC.
    The E100 is £200 dearer.Do you need the double size drive that much?
    The Pioneer has no RGB input.This is essential for Sky,although with Sky+ you can get away with s-video.Strangely,the Pioneer offers RGB loopthrough and output,and in their manual states that RGB is superior to s-video,while denying their customers an input socket.
    The HS2 will not allow playback of different tv standards on record and playback.Eg,while you record to the HDD in PAL,it will not allow you to play an NTSC dvd.
    But the HS2 is best out of the 3,taking the £200 extra for the E100 into account

5. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. It's the HS2 for me. I have NTSC sources and a standards convertor so it works fine for me.
    Not so sure where the best deal is though : I need to find a site that will ship to Ireland (and not charge the earth).

Any suggestions ?