hdd/dvd choice (boot time, noise, menus...)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by markod, Dec 19, 2004.

1. markod

markod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.
    Trying to decide between Panasonic E95, Pioneer DVR 720, JVC DR-MH 30 and Sony GX 900. I want a replacement for old VCR for daily TV recordings.
    Questions:

1. Is the boot time an issue? How long does it take between pressing the button and recording?

2. Noise when playing, noise when on standby? An issue?

3. After recording many shows on disk - how easy and convenient is to find the show you would like to watch? I heard that Panasonic and Sony automaticaly add the name of the show from Teletext information - how does this work and is is usable?

4. General ease of use, menu looks, remote control...

5. Other hints?

Thanks for your help.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. Not really - 6 to 10 secs or so.

2. The machines are pretty quiet - about the same as a VCR. Very occasionally a rogue noisy HDD or fan turns up, but then you should get a replacement

3. Mostly by a Disc Navigator that shows thumbnails images from a few secs into the recording. You select the recording by moving around the thumbnails. The Pioneer keeps the date, time, duration, mode (LP,SP etc). Titles can be manually set.

4. The Pioneer has a very easy menu system, but they are all pretty good and easy for day to day use.

5. Download the manuals from the maker sites and settle down in front of the PC for a few hours :) (The Panasonic may not be available - they are very slow)

Some people think the Sony editing facilities are a bit limited.
    You also might want to consider disc formats. They all do DVD-R then you start to have a choice of DVD-RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

3. markod

markod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6 to 10 secs for starting to record seems a lot. Do I understand this properly - this is not a boot time, right?

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you might also consider that HDD records all the time it's on (in case of Philips, upto 6 hours), so if you want to keep something (record it) it's just a matter of you deciding - so you can even record something 'after' it's already been on, it just doesn't get better than that

Philips stores recording by program title (it knows this from EPG), dunno how the others do it - i cant hear H/Drive, even when the TV is off - has all the editing facilities (cropping tools) i'll ever need - but i'm not a movie producer, so my needs are limited - it's bit expensive, but the free EPG is worth it on it's own

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    From pressing power on to pressing record. You have to allow the disk to get up to speed and I guess a second or two to stabilise. Pioneer turn on 2 mins ahead of preset timer recordings, some makes are longer.
    PDC startup is about 4 secs from the time the Power On message appears to the red record indicator.
    The 10 secs is a guess for some makes based on a couple of comments in other posts.

6. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on those particular recorders but I just bought a Toshiba XS32 so have answered your questions based on my experience with this.

Boot time is about 15-30 seconds at most. When you press record, it takes a second at most before recording to HDD (providing the recorder is switched on and warmed up) - haven't tried recording directly to DVD yet so can't comment. When you set a timer recording it starts itself up 10 minutes prior to the recording start time.

Some slight fan noise is all. I don't find this a problem but I know some people hate anything which makes even the slightest noise. In a perfectly quiet room you will notice it, with the TV on I doubt you hear it - I don't. When playing (from HDD or DVD) it's perfectly silent - you hear HDD noise when jumping chapters or fast-forwarding etc. (as you would expect).

You have to give the title the name manually on the Tosiba but this isn't too much of a pain. You can view all recordings in a list where it shows you a thumbnail of the program (which you can set from any frame in the recording) and also the date/time/channel of the recording.

The Toshiba is very easy to use. Steep learning curve but once you get your head round it all everything is very easy to use and perform.

The Toshiba XS32 :thumbsup:

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC has no RGB input.The Sony has no DIVIDE feature,so you can write both of those off.
    The Tosh is good value and has excellent menu options.
    The Panasonic has an awkwardness when trying to record using flexible record on the HDD.
    The Pioneer is as good as it gets.
    The Philips is very limited in editing(unless your easily pleased).
    Any of these machines have usefulness increased 10 fold if paired with Sky+ or a Freeview HDD recorder

8. dest

dest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also considering a HDD/DVD system and I wonder if anyone can answer a couple of questions about the Panasonic E95 and the Philips 725H. I can't d/l the manual form the panasonic site, can't even find the model number so some reason.
    I would like to connect two terrestrial digital boxes so that I can watch one while recording the other.

Can both scarts be used as i/p on either system? I intend to use the component o/p.

Does the Panasonic have a G-link input? Has anyone used the Guide Plus+ system?

Regards

A.

9. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can only answer for Philips

"....Can both scarts be used as i/p on either system? I intend to use the component o/p..."

yes (Philips can control upto 3 external devices simultaniously - but only 2 via scarts)

"...Has anyone used the Guide Plus+ system?..."

yes - i cant imagine using an HDVD without some kinda EPG (automatic titling on it's own is a boon)

10. dest

dest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >"yes (Philips can control upto 3 external devices >simultaniously - but only 2 via scarts)"

excellent.

I had a look at a pannasonic e95 manual today and it seems that only one of the scarts can be used as an i/p.

>>"...Has anyone used the Guide Plus+ system?..."

>yes - i cant imagine using an HDVD without some kinda >EPG (automatic titling on it's own is a boon

and do you use the "IR Blaster"? This is the key as far as I'm concerned, that the Hdd recorder controls the source.

I think I'll go for the Philips.

A.

11. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I did the same - but returned it. :( The big limitations for me was build quality, the problem that if you record something on the HDD you cannot rate convert it to fit onto a DVD and the editting on the HDD was fairly poor (inaccurate). The main reason was the PQ though, when piped to my plasma M1 recordings were somewhat weak and washed out. I was going to get a Toshiba but a trial of the Sony RX1000 convinced me to get that. It is a world apart from the Philips in quality stakes.

I believe Rasczak posted a number of issues with the Philips model as well (reliability) as has other forum heavyweights; PhilipL, Phelings, OARDVD. Do a forum search for the full story. The general consensus seems to be to avoid Philips, and my (brief) experience with their recorders seems to support this.

12. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

13. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    My E85 does not do this (assuming I have understood you correctly). When I exit the navigator screen, either by pressing RETURN or by pressing DIRECT NAVIGATOR again, it normally goes back to what I was looking at before I first pressed the navigator button - a TV channel or the timer standby screen or whatever. (I say 'normally' because it can go back to a different screen if a timer event has occurred while in the navigator screen.)

14. markod

markod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You can keep the DVD/HDD on when watching TV, then you can record immediately when you hit the record button. It is only if the machine is off that it takes some seconds to boot.

Mark

16. dest

dest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE

I did and went for the Panasonic DMR E95 instead I've had it for a few weeks now and it is excellent.
    The Philips control system and reliability issues tipped me to the Panasonic.

This was an exchange from an 8 month old Philips LX9000, apart from having a poor control system, when 6 months old it refused to cross the layer change on pre-recorded DVDs and 50% of the time would not read its own +RWs. It went back for repair, to an independant repairer, and when returned had no fault report and had been dropped - knobs and buttons pressed in. The supplier said sorry about that they would take it up with the courier and since Philips have discontinued that machine - choose something else. Well done Sound and Vision Online for reducing the hassle.

So, although the interconnectability and the Guideplus system were very good features I decide I couldn't risk another Philips - shame really.

The playing thumbnails on the Panasonic Navigator is fantastic. Very happy with the system.

A.

17. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Just a note on startup times - the new Panasonic EH50 (due April) has 'instant start' as one of the specifications - booting up in 1 second. Now whilst I won't believe it until I see it maybe a consideration for some of more impatient here. However a much better solution (IMHO) is just leave your unit on when your watching TV - this allows almost instant recording!