1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD drives (mixing SCSI and IDE)

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Nick Cartwright, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have currently got two 160 Gig IDE HDD's in my PC. I may want to add more in the Future but I'm pretty sure I only have 2 IDE channels so I can only add another IDE drive as a slave to my DVD drive (is this correct) with my existing two being master and slave on the same IDE socket.

My question is, can I combine SCSI and IDE HDD's in the same system, also is there a restriction to the number of HDD's I can have under Win XP? I think I have enought sockets to incorporate 4 SCSI (can these be chained in the same way as IDE as I have two SCSI sockets), and 3 IDE.

Thanks

Nick

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This will not cause you a problem - I have several IDE and SCSI Drives mixed in lots of systems.

Providing your PSU is up to it and you have enough power connectors etc you could have loads.

There's nothing stopping you having 15 SCSI HDs and 2 IDEs if you really wanted to if it's UW-SCSI or higher.

3. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You should be able to add at least sixteen SCSI drives!

SCSI doesn't operate with the same master/slave methodology as IDE. Instead, each device is given a separate SCSI ID, with the last device in the chain being terminated to signify the end of the chain.

If i recall correctly generic SCSI allows for eight devices per channel, and i think that the later SCSI 2 allows for 16 or more per channel.

I'm pretty positive you'll find that your SCSI device is actually dual channel, so you've got plenty of opportunity for obtaining more disk space!

Think the cheapest option though would be to replace your motherboard with one that provides additional IDE channels. Gigabyte or ASUS are good ones to look at for this.

4. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Alternatively, add a pci card that allows connection of additional drives, whether ATA or SATA.

I recently built a home media server and have put one of these in

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr1820.htm

allows me 8 SATA drives in addition to the capacity on the m'board.
    I've currently got it set up running 5x 200GB Maxtors in Raid 5
    It uses the CPU power rather than true hardware raid but as its in a dedicated server that's no real problem

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good advice there dgc, they'll be a LOT cheaper than SCSIs.

800Gb in RAID 5 :eek:

6. shadow 111

shadow 111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me that alot of people here are missing the point of scsi. SCSI is far more reliable and much faster than ide (in real world use). No IDE drive can touch the speed of fibre channel SCSI. This is an expensive piece of kit but even a lowly UW scsi single platter disk will wipe the floor with any IDE including serial ata in actual use, admittedly not on paper. Whilst this doesn't come cheap it is the way forward.

SERVERS USE SCSI!!!

What i'm saying Nick is to start removing IDE from your system altogther. The only thing in your system that will slow down with SCSI is a moment on startup to initialise th SCSI controller.

You can't beat the sound of 15000rpm SCSI drive spinning up. Bit like a F15 Tomcat! LOL

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes and it costs massively for that power!

Maybe Nick does want to run a super-server, but I very much doubt it from what he's said so far, I believe he mentioned SCSI perhaps not realising he could add more IDE drives.

Yes, servers use SCSI .. but I doubt Nick's running a 100+ user file server. The only time when the raw power of SCSI will even begin to be noticed in a single-user system is with applications like video editing, and only then if you've got a workstation-class processor.

I repeat, for desktop and small server systems SCSI provides no practical payback for the massively increased cost .. for God's sake, compare the cost of a 200Gb SATA with a 200Gb SCSI disk system!

8. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SCSI is indeed expensive. I have an admission to make, when I wrote SCSI I actually meant SATA!!! I was having a busy day at work and my brain must have had a spasm!

So, is there any reason I can combine 3 IDE and a number of SATA drives?

I think I have two SATA sockets on my MB, so how many SATA drives can I have? Is it two per socket like IDE?

SCSI sounds interesting though, although looking at the costs it would cost more than my PC, Projector and Surround system to get a decent amount of storage (800 Gig plus)

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I presume you mean "is there any reason I can't combine". :)

One drive per SATA socket AFAIK. For more disks you'll need a PCI card with more SATA sockets, such as the Highpoint controller dgc linked to.

Indeed, with the price of a 400Gb SATA disk at something like £350 IIRC it's pretty cost-effective if you have huge space needs.

10. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just like the idea of having a library of My DVD's on HDD which I can call up using My HTPC. I can then lock the orignals away somewhere safe.

11. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Certainly made sense to me.

The 200GB discs are still cheapest (i think ) in terms of Gb per £
    Also if going for a Raid 5 set up then it makes sense to lose 200GB for the redundancy protection rather than 400GB.

My 800GB "Video Dump" is filling fast - HiDeff stuff certainly is space hungry !
    Even with this set up I'll still be archiving to DVD discs.

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi all.
    Regarding SCSI, if you have UW SCSI in any flavour you have a maximium of 15 ID's per controller port, ason ehas to be the card itself (normally ID7) that leaves 14 to play with.......You can add as many cards as you like though given the space......The noise of a SCSI based system that approaches the size of a single 400Gb SATA disk though is simply horrendous.......(and bloody expensive). You simply don't need SCSI for just about any application these days (huge network servers accepted probably)......

13. shadow 111

shadow 111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm! I really seem to have hit a nerve with that one. I can't honestly say I really considered the cost point of view, it's been so long since I paid for my own computer parts (free from work) that I forgot about small matters like cost! However I have a performance and capacity suggestion.

Boot Disk - Seagate 15K U320 36.7 (I amd fairly certain this is a single platter disk(single platter = 0 wait time to cross disks)) from dabs £160.

This will be fast as you like, the performance increases don't just mean faster transfers though. IDE systems place a load on the CPU as this has to do all the processing for the drive. With SCSI the cpu just asks for the info and gets it. This will up game performance and any hi def watching whilst playing quake III.

Separate server with gigabit network (for streaming hi def video) with a multi drive SATA array 8 x WD2500SD 250GB SATA150 7200rpm 8mb @ £140 each (£1120). 2 terabytes must sound appealing! two controllers at about £40

Quick quiz : Does any here actually use serious processing power. By this I don't mean games, video etc. I refer to proper stuff like video editing, 3D rendering, hacking into the CIA, or even serious multi tasking etc. Just curious to know how much of a idiot I must sound.

PS - For the record I use over 100tb (work that is). Microsoft and IDE don't like that amount and just fall over! Solaris and SCSI rule!

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: hehehehehehe, another power user, I also thought I was alone......I still hate SCSI Raids though...... We did some hi def video editing the other day on a twin Zeon and run out of CPU power....Mind you the disk array had gave up as well.....

Cost if a big issue for most......

Why on earth would you want to play doomIII and watch a hidef movie at the same time. I just tell the wife to go shopping whiltst my Son and I play.....(It is surprisingly cheaper to do this than build a monster to do both at the same time)