HDD crashes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dark Eyes, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Dark Eyes

Dark Eyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am currently looking at buying a HDD/DVD recorder and was wondering how many people have experienced HDD crashes, especially with Toshiba or Panasonic equipment.

Has anybody managed to recover crashed HDDs or the material on them ?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The only reason for the hdd to crash is failure of the drive or a power failure in use.
    If the drive has failed you can easily replace it but you will obviously loose what was on it and cannot use any additional space on a larger one. It is also essential to pick a drive with the same or lower power consuption or you will have problems. MY HS2 has never crashed with respect to the HDD in 2 years of use.(I have had numerous crashes though with defective or dirty media)

After a power failure my unit recomenced recording a timed program that was interrupted, presumably after it went through the recovery process, so the software must be quite robust. The only issues I have had is that occasionally whilst recording I have been unable to view past the first image of another recorded program. This is presumably due to insufficient software resources to deal with a missed or corrupted frame in the saved recording. However once the ongoing recording has finished everything recovers with all programs intact and viewable.

A number of people have wanted to recover programs from hdd in units which need to be replaced or repaired and no-one has come up with an effective way of recovering programmes by inserting the hdd in a computer. It is possible though to avoid the automatic format of a replaced drive into a unit by hot swapping the hdd after the format has been done on another drive, but I personally wouldn't attempt this.

3. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    My Panasonic HS2 is on pretty much 24-7 (I guess power cycling put more of a strain on HDD's generally, but anyway), and I've not had a crash in 10 months of use. If only Sky+ boxes were similarly stable.