1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdcp????????????

Discussion in 'TVs' started by davei, Mar 6, 2005.

1. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

am still trying to decide between buying the panny pw6 (plasma) and the sagem axium 50" (DLP) . i've been put off the sagem 50 due to speaking to people on thbe site who tell me that this set is not hdcp enabled and thus will simply not work when sky start to broadcast hi def.

how does it stand with the plasmas on the market at the mo? are any of these hdcp enabled?

Call me a fool but is it not the case that 99% of the uk havent even heard of hd anyway? - and so whats gonna happen when sky starts to broadcast in hi -def?
    :confused:
    am a total novice to all this but i presume 99% of us will be screwed anyway? (plus i love the picture on the sagem 50 and its down to 1,600 with stand now in comet) ....

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Sagem you're aware of the HDCP issue & there is a chance Sagem will fix that IMO DLP beats Plasma

3. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just read this....

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7340

not really any the wiser - but would you say the sagem is a 50" turkey??

anyway i'm pretty sure all the plasmas we could afford would not compare picture wise with the sagem and also i presume very few of those plasmas would be hdcp enabled ??

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read this at the time but Sagem have been telling people since then over the telephone there will be a fix .Do not buy this set if you want to watch hidef buy it for the picture quality it has now.Any HDCP fix would be a bonus

5. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rightly said... PICTURE QUALITY is foremost.

I'm quite certain there will be a fix, at least 2 parties have told me this - and if you're ok not to watch hi-def for a while (consider this, the initial Sky service could be expensive, and the HD/Blue-Ray players will be too most probably).

These are 2 things : going digital, and going hi-def... But still - PQ, screen size and cost are the main factors that influence customers in deciding what to buy.

I suggest you go through the normal process that will lead to your purchase decision - demo, demo, demo. Test the different sets. Bring your own standard DVDs, VCDs, etc. and check which one suits your taste best. Bring your partner with you, too (make sure everyone is happy)...

The threads in these forums are useful, but ultimately - it is YOU who decide.

(which brings me, if CRT tube was available in 50-inch, I'd go for this)

technology works this way - immitate, integrate, innovate...

6. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I wouldn’t, I had a 40" 4:3 crt and it weighed about 3 tons. I needed a team of horses to move it. :suicide:

7. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Well, a pretty easy decision really mate.

The panny pw6 is a good screen but not IMHO as good as the 50" sagem.....

as regards hdcp, well it still beats the plasma due to the fact that the pw6 is only a low-def 854x480 screen.

Unless you're hoping to connect a dvd player with hdmi upscaling (like the denon 2910) I really wouldn't worry about it.

hope this helps

8. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As stated HDCP is the form of encription that Hollywood are using for HD. This requires an input into the rear of any set that you buy. According to trading standards, sets designed to take HD have it written on it! (although not always the case yet!). Personally, I would not purchase any TV that is already out of date by the fact it will not take the new technology that will sweep the UK in the next few years. Check out the HD threads. Chat to people. Over the next few years, first Sky, then the BBC etc will start with a little then a lot of upscaled and or native HD broadcasting.

The Australian experience is very useful here, as in White Papers, this is what the BBC hints will happen here. First one went partly HD, then they all did, partly. The Govt then introduced minimal HD broadcast hours. It is still growing. The interesting thing is three years ago there was nothing in HD or digital really in Aust. Now, at least from my experience being a duel national, people buy HD ready sets. People in my family have or are as they replace sets. In Oz they use a set top box that delivers a 720 or 1080 picture in HD. The issue here is, if you do not have HDCP, you will not be able to watch movies etc in HD from Hollywood or the new HD DVD's etc from the same source. This means once you see the picture difference (which is like going from B and W picies to Colour it is that great), and want to buy your favourate movie in HD-DVD (which is the new format for DVD's, starting later this year), if all goes to plan. Hollywood will push HD-DVD and it should catch on quickly, as they will firstly release DVD's in both, then only the new format (a couple of years down the track).

You can expect it is in the interests of retailers to 1.Sell off old, useless stock. 2.Re-stock with HD ready stock 3.Push HD-DVD to increase sales. This also relates to manufacturers and the movie producers themselves.

As to Sagem, just a few points. 1.They have a deal with Comet, who released their stock on test in the UK to see how popular it would be. 2.The 50 was a test of the market (confirmed by Sagem in France). 3.The 45 is their real venture into the UK market. 4.UK consumer law, the size of the market, and the problem of who is to blame over the release of the 50 without it being able to be used with the UK system, and the costs involved in any upgrade means there is no real incentive to do it. People forget the legal situation here. As it stands, Sagem is not required to do any expensive upgrade and can blame Comet, hence Comet disconnecting their HD feeds. Finally, if you were a manufacturer and a retailer in an arrangement where you had stock to sell off, is it in your interest to give a certain response on the upgrade issue until the remaining stock is sold. COMET IS CLEARLY NOW NOT SELLING THE TV AS HD OR HD READY (I asked this question and why at Comet)Sorry to make all you teckies shreak, but from a legal point of view the outcome is obvious. As for good customer relations, this may come down in the end to the person you purchased off.

I am sure you will find there are many other DLP's will great pictures. Remember, the above could be why Comet has dropped their price! They need to get rid of them! Wouldn't you. The picie is great but are you happy spending a lot of money when you know the technology will not work in the future!

9. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To summarise, many things are already known about HDTV:

1. The EBU have recommended progressive formats for transmission, starting with 720p and moving towards 1080p as technology develops. This is a recommendation, not enforcable, and private broadcasters are entitled to do what they want.

2. Sky, and most other European broadcasters, will be using MPEG4 compression. US broadcasters currently use MPEG2 but some will switch to MPEG4 before too long.

3. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will launch in the next 12 months. The data will probably be stored as 1080p on the disc and, depending on the individual player specifications, will probably output 720p, 1080i or 1080p user selectable via a HDCP equipped HMDI interface. There may be 1080i analogue outputs on some players but this looks unlikely at the moment.

4. For any of the forthcoming HD services or formats it is best to assume a HDCP equipped display device will be required.

5. The Sky boxes will support 720p and 1080i transmission making tt a broadcaster's choice. Which is better is a tricky argument. 720p is probably better for sports coverage but 1080i has a higher horizontal resolution and in theory can be inversed telecined to 1080p on film based material (much as the way DVD's are inverse telecined to give a 480p or 576p output). As in the USA, both will probably be supported by virtually all receivers and displays so most viewers will probably not know what they are watching except for maybe a short re-sync moment when channel hopping.

6. In the USA at the moment both 1080i and 720p are used. ABC and Fox use 720p whilst virtually all other channels (free and pay) use 1080i

7. It is safe to assume all European based channels and probably HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will be 50Hz based.

8. The BBC will pick what the broadcast platform allows. Basically, as Sky will be the initial platform, they will have a choice between 720p or 1080i.

9. Sound formats for Europe are not known on the broadcast side. MPEG 2-channel with an add on Dolby Digital 5.1 track are the most likely.

10. HDCP is likely to be required for most pre-recorded and broadcast HDTV services. If you are remotely interested in HDTV do not purchase a display device without such a feature.

Hope this helps. Another forum member posted it for your old thread

10. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I would add is to remind people that Sky announced last week that they will be recommending to their suppliers of channels that they use 720p as their basic format, and 1080i only if they think it will suit the particular show. They sated that 720p will be their prefered format.