• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDCP - What does it really stand for?

jimsan

Active Member
Sorry to ask you guys this, as I'm sure you've covered this a thousand times...

I've just been reading Home Cinema Choice magazine and they're driving me nuts...
Am i correct in saying that HDCP stands for High bandwidth Digital Copy Protection? If I am would somebody tell HCC that it doesn't stand for High Definition Content Protection. This months mag is bigging it up on HiDef and every time the write HDCP they insist on clarifying it wrongly!!!! AAAAAAARRRRGGHHH.

Please tell me which it is.. :lesson: :lease:

Jimmy
 

AML

Well-known Member
I always thought it was High Definition Content Protection. But it might be diferent.
Whats important is that you know what it does and what it means to you!
 

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
jimsan said:
Sorry to ask you guys this, as I'm sure you've covered this a thousand times...

I've just been reading Home Cinema Choice magazine and they're driving me nuts...
Am i correct in saying that HDCP stands for High bandwidth Digital Copy Protection? Please tell me which it is.. :lesson: :lease:

Jimmy

You're almost right - High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection - as far as I understand it anyway.

Cheers,

Martin.
 

jimsan

Active Member
High bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

Isn't it rediculous that a supposedly 'expert' magazine like HCC should be getting this SO wrong!

Makes me mad....and I know nearly nothing!

Jimmy
 

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
jimsan said:
High bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

Isn't it rediculous that a supposedly 'expert' magazine like HCC should be getting this SO wrong!

Makes me mad....and I know nearly nothing!

Jimmy

No more ridiculous than the countless errors they seem to make in most AV mags in every issue.

My favourite in recent years was one (HCC I think) crediting the Japanese with the first digital OTA HD service when it launched in 2004.

So, err, the US digital OTA HD service that launched in 1998 doesn't count?

And, err, what about the Australian digital OTA HD service that launched around the same time?

Hmm...

I've also lost count of the number of "experts" who confuse the number of scanning lines in a TV system (625/576, 525/480, 1125/1080, 750/720 etc.) with the "lines of resolution" spec that is often applied to VHS, S-VHS, DVD etc. If I had a penny for every time someone writes that A VHS VCR converts the 625 lines broadcast into "about 250 lines" for recording, and that S-VHS is better because it "records more of the original 625 lines"...

This is from the so-called expert magazines.

Sometimes I also think they don't actually look at the pictures on the TVs they review. I've seen sets with glowing reviews that are unwatchable...
 

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Stephen Neal said:
Sometimes I also think they don't actually look at the pictures on the TVs they review. I've seen sets with glowing reviews that are unwatchable...

Yeah, and how may mags gave the Panasonic PD30 ***** and yet on this forum the number of people who reported that, through RGB scart, the picture was :censored: ?

Experts ...... ?????????

Cheers,

Martin.
 

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Or is it

Hey! Don't Copy Programmes?
 

binbag

Active Member
Hollywood Doesn't Condone Piracy...?
 

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom