HDCP question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonnylawrence, Jul 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jonnylawrence

jonnylawrence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,
    A touch confused by HDCP.
    I want to upgrade my old onkyo 606 to a new denon x2400h however I’m thinking that my configuration of Apple TV passed to my Denon and then onto my old Sony 1080P 46W2000 (10 years old), will be a problem.
    Can anyone please confirm if this chain will be an issue?
    Thanks
    Jon

2. fxv300

fxv300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If you are viewing any protected content all components in the loop have to be HDCP2.2 compliant

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    There's no problem using newer receivers with older devices and TVs. You can still access and passthrough the same video content you could using your older AV receiver. If however you want to access and passthrough UHD video with or without HDR then the source will obviously need the ability to access or play this type of content and the TV will also require the ability to handle and display it. Most commercial UHD content is also protected by HDCP version 2.2 which any new AV receiver will be compliant with. OLder devices will lack this, but this only comes into play if wanting to access and watch UHD content.

There are a few weird anomalies you should be warry of. THe Virgin Media V6 for example will not output anything if trying to pass its output through an HDCP 2.2 compliant AV receiver to an older non HDCP 2.2 compliant TV. The box will however work without issue if connecting it directly to the older TV.

There's generally no issue associated with using older 1080p TVs with new or current AV receivers.