HDCP Problems When Using AV Reciever

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by WDI, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WDI

WDI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm having HDCP problems with a Sony Playstation 3 and Apple TV when connected via HDMI through a Marantz 1603 AV receiver to a Panasonic GT50 plasma tv. Everything is brand new and all units firmware are up to date including the playstation, apple tv, marantz receiver and panasonic tv.

If the Sony Playstation 3 and Apple TV are connected directly to the TV I have no problems. Problems only start when connected to the TV through the Marantz receiver. For a while everything works. Then the next day nothing works and I receive the HDCP error message, or a blank screen.

OK, here is the catch, and I figured this is what was going to happen even before contacting Marantz and Panasonic. Each claim that it is the others problem. So where does that leave me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    How long are your cable runs?

Are you ensuring you avoid 'Hot Swapping' (connecting/disconnecting kit when powered On) - try powering the whole system down, connect as you would prefer then repower and only take things In/Out of Standby dont power some items On/Off at the wall.

Ensure you have things like 'Deep Color' on the PS3 disabled and if possible put the Marantz in HDMI Pass Thru mode - so disable any video processing the Marant offers!

Joe

3. WDI

WDI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The HDMI cables are between 4 and 6 feet. I've tried different cables from cheap to expensive and the results are always the same. Works for a while then stops working.

No hot swapping or turning off power to any of the units. When off they are in stand by.

When deep color is set to automatic on the ps3 eventually I get random color patterns when going through the Marantz. That was the first issue I had and resolved by turning it off. However, the Marantz is supposed to support deep color.

I haven't tried putting the Marantz in pass through mode but will try it tonight.

This whole HDMI thing seems extremely touchy. It's hard to believe how complicated the industry has made connecting equipment.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Keep in mind HDMI is all about Content Protection not picture quality, sound quality or simplicity!

Joe

5. WDI

WDI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not trying to violate copy protected material. Lol. I'm just trying to use my equipment as intended.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    'I'm not trying to violate copy protected material' - 'they' dont trust you :devil:

Joe

7. WDI

WDI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I could always keep buying and returning equipment again and again and again and again till they get it to work right. There will be plenty of open box items on sale at BestBuy. :laugh:

8. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Have you updated both the Panasonic TV and Marantz Receiver to the latest firmware?

9. WDI

WDI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Every thing is updated. The Marantz was updated right before posting on this forum. I immediately had a problem with a blue ray pausing on ps3 so I plugged it right into the tv and it turned out it was just a bad disc.

So now the Apple tv and ps3 are plugged back inti the Marantz via HDMI and the last two nights everything has been fine working fine. The guy at Marantz told me there was nothing in the update to fix HDCP.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Again the problems haven't been constant. Things seem to work fine for a while, then one day out of the blue I can't get a signal to pass through the Marantz or I receive an HDCP error message. Hopefully the Marantz update fixed the issue. I'm a little skeptical because the Marantz guy didn't give me the impression that firmware was the issue. We'll see.