1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDCP on HDMI - optional ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cwinson, Feb 14, 2005.

1. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure this has been answered before, but can't find a relevant post...

Question is - if a scaler has HDMI output and the input is analogue (e.g. Component) or non-HDCP DVI, will HDCP be enforced on the HDMI output?

Many posts state that HDCP is part of the HDMI standard (i.e. not optional). New products like the Algolith Dragonfly only have HDMI outputs and not DVI (where HDCP is optional). To work in my set up (non-HDCP DVI input on PJ), i'd need the HDCP to be disabled on the HDMI output, and then converted to DVI.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If I understand the Lumagen right .. and Gordon or Joe will let me know if I'm not ;) .. their products won't engage HDCP on the DVI output unless it comes in, and since by definition HDCP won't be coming in via analog then the output should be clean too.

3. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KraGorn,

I understand this to be the case too for the Lumagens, however they have DVI out, for which HDCP is optional.

The newer generation scalers (like Algolith's Dragonfly) may only have HDMI as the digital out. It's these models I'm confused about - can the HDMI connection output non-HDCP material if the input is non-HDCP (e.g. analogue).

Chris

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    cwinson

I've not heard of any kit that has HDCP as the 'always on' state for an HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) Output.

In a DVD player with HDMI or (DVI with HDCP) Output the encryption is switched On when you insert and run a disc that includes Macrovision protection - if you insert a disc that's non Macrovision it'll output a digital signal with NO HDCP applied.

KraGorn is correct that the Lumagen Vision range will only apply HDCP on the Output if the signals you are processing has HDCP on the Input.

A Display with an HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) Input socket will work with non HDCP signals just as readily as they work with HDCP signals. Its only where the HDCP encryption is on the source or intermediate device that you require the Display to be HDCP compliant.

Best regards

Joe

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As Joe confirmed, yes they can, at least legally. Pedantically, AIUI HDMI isn't the issue, it's HDCP.

The HDCP license demands that any processor which decrypts an HDCP-protected input MUST re-encrypt it on output; this precludes the use of an analog output from an HDCP-protected digital input, not because it's analog but because analog connections can't implement HDCP.

Thus, it doesn't matter whether the output is DVI or HDMI in this context, the sole criteria is the presence of HDCP on the input. That said, it's not impossible for a manufacturer to make the HDCP an 'always on' feature (sic) if any do do that.

Joe:

I was under the impression that Denons ALWAYS inflict HDCP on their digitial outputs even for home-burned material, that's clearly not the case from what you've said.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello KraGorn

Like you I've read a few folk saying so in recent weeks - though when the DVD-3910 first arrived we tried a few tests and it didn't seem to be 'always on'.

Possibly I need to get another one in for an extended play - Denon do seem to make awfully heavy weather of MR, DVI, HDMI and HDCP :)

Best regards

Joe