1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDCP issues/questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Malone, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Having searched for HDCP in this forum I have come across various threads all are not quite answering my question which is.

With a fair number of current and new to market LCD's having DVI only, am I correct in saying they will not be compatable with Sky's HDCP signal due to HDCP signals only travelling 'one way' for copyright reasons and DVI being a signal capable of travelling between source and monitor?

Is HDCP just a 'signal' which can use the DVI connection, provided the TV is HDCP enabled?

It seems HDCP is only available on top of the range gear as opposed to standard LCD's.

Matt

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    HDCP is just copy protection. It can be applied to any conection.

I beleive other conections like Compnent have been using some kind of HDCP for a long time.

This newer version is designed for digital conections like HDMI and DVI-D.

By the way, both HDMI and DVi-D are interchangeable. The only difference between them is that HDMI can carry sound as well as picture (2.0/5.1 or higher) where DVi-D can only carry the picture.

There are many kinds of DVI conections which is why it gets confusing.

The type PC monitors use is not HDCP protected and is probably DVi-i which is both digital and analogue.
    The type new TVs use is DVi-D which is digital only and is HDCP protected.

Only newer displays (plasmas and LCDs) use HDCP conections. All you need to do is look at the rear of the panel and check the conections. If its HDMI, then its guaranteed to be HDCP as there is no other type of HDMI.
    Its a bit different with DVI, as older TVs have DVI-i for PC use. Newer sets use DVi-D for future technology such as Blu Ray and HDTV.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Matt,

Yes, you're right that all screens will need to be HDCP compatible to enable you to view Sky's HD broadcasts ( and HD DVD and Blu-ray discs, too). I'm sure we'll see cheaper HDCP-compatible sets later this year.

Steve

4. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Which confuses me. Monitor's , be that LCD or otherwise which are not HDCP enabled will in that case be totally future UNproof.

The new ruling brought about by ? govening bodies(AFAIK) states HD compatible equipment has to have some kind of mark to say it is HD ready.
    What does that mark confirm, HDCP ready?

Matt

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I dont think its a rule. Its usually hollywood which sets these kind of rules. This is also the reason why we have regions for DVD players. They simply dont want use to get a player or system that would allow us to do and view whatever we want and whenever/wherver we want.

HDCP is just to stop the copying of HD material. Sony wanted this badly for Blu Ray as they are paraniod.

Its possible to watch HD content through a compnent conection, but it looks like HDCP encrypted HDMI will become the standard.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Malone,

The new HD ready logo can only be given to displays that can accept 720p50, 720p60, 1080i50 and 1080i60 signals through an HDCP-compatible digital input and analogue component YPbPr input. Hope this helps.

Steve

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    :thumbsup: Cheers, God bless the AV Forums

Matt

8. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can a Panasonic TH-50PV30 Plasma TV show HD if a separate box is used to convert the signal from the likes of Sky+?
    Need a new tv soon and this tv is getting cheaper by the day.
    The new model Viera shoul be ok but dont think i can wait!

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no it cant (not without an illegal devoce and a scaler look at the pioneer (lack of digital input is what is killing the 50" Veira) or teh 50" Panny panel TH-50PHW7B (will need a scaler to do digital FRC for sky HD tho.......