1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDCP enabled plasmas....?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by davei, Mar 6, 2005.

1. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

have been trying to decide between buying the panny pw6 (plasma) and the sagem axium 50" (DLP) . i've been put off the sagem 50 due to speaking to people on thbe site who tell me that this set is not hdcp enabled and thus will simply not work when sky start to broadcast hi def.

how does it stand with the plasmas on the market at the mo? are any of these hdcp enabled?

Call me a fool but is it not the case that 99% of the uk havent even heard of hd anyway? - and so whats gonna happen when sky starts to broadcast in hi -def?

am a total novice to all this but i presume 99% of us will be screwed anyway?... :confused:

2. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe my Fujitsu P50XHA10US is HDCP enable as it says it is in the instruction manual. This is through the DVI input

John

3. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sagem 50 has a dvi input too, so maybe it is hdcp enabled too?

the sagem doesnt appear to be hdcp enabled looking at the posts on this site but the people in comet today seemed to think NOTHING is truly hdcp compliant until sky makes its mind up (dont know how much faith to store in what the people at comet say tho...)

4. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also my knowledge is very small but HDCP is nothing to do with sky or a program for that matter. If I am correct it is a specification designed to protect digital entertainment. Check this out

Short for high-bandwidth digital-content protection, a specification developed by Intel for protecting digital entertainment content that uses the DVI interface. HDCP encrypts the transmission of digital content between the video source, or transmitter -- such as a computer, DVD player or set-top box -- and the digital display, or receiver -- such as a monitor, television or projector. HDCP is not designed to prevent copying or recording of digital content but to protect the integrity of content as it is being transmitted.
    Implementation of HDCP requires a license obtainable from the Digital Content Protection, LLC, which then issues a set of unique secret device keys to all authorized devices. During authentication, the receiver will only accept content once it demonstrates knowledge of the keys. Furthermore, to prevent eavesdropping and stealing of the data, the transmitter and receiver will generate a shared secret value that is consistently checked throughout the transmission. Once authentication is established, the transmitter encrypts the data and sends it to the receiver for decryption

Hope this helps and some one will correct me if im wrong

John

5. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    found this

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7340

dunno what to make of things now. obviously dont want to make a 2 k mistake - butwould the lack of hdcp be a real problem?
    after all could still watch normal sky digital (i presume that wouldnt be phased out for a good long while seeing a probably 99% of the uk dont and wont have hdcp enabled sets)

and if someone took the extended "new for old" warranty they could maybe have an "accident" with the set after a few years....

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try a search has been discussed to death the Optoma RD50 is HDCP as are a fair few plasmas including the PW6 7 series pannys (still wont work with sky tho!)

7. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pw6 is hdcp enabled but wont work with sky?

now i'm really confused

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it is HDCP (DVi and HDMI boards) but doesnt work with 720p@50Hz and 1080i@50Hz (what sky will broadcast) this is very complex and there is a lot of misinformatio out there. To get a Panny or Johns Fujitsu to work with sky you need a scaler to do Frame rate conversion from 50 to 60Hz the lumagen DVi or Iscan HD+ is the minimum required at the moment circa £800+ (minimum)

9. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what sets are there out there that are 100% fool proof and will deffo work with sky hi def - i was nearly sold the new pioneer for 2,900 on the basis that it was totally future proof?

or do we not even know how the land lies yet till sky makes a final decision??

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pioneer 435XDE

11. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep thats the one.

so that is the best one to go for if wanting it to be ok for the future?

or am i just worrying too much over the high def issue?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think you are worrying too much! but thats my personal opinion...but the 435XDE is a future proof as you are going to get, doesnt mean the picture is any good and £2790 is a lot to spend..........................

13. davei

davei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help - you know your stuff.

i agree prob worrying too much - saw the pioneer and indeed the picture did look a bit ****e

14. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Look out for the new 42" Fujitsu-40series, about to arrive in the UK, launched at the end of last month. Its more expensive than the Pio but the picture is a bit better IMHO. It has all the compatibility that you need, including an HDCP enabled HDMI socket. However, unlike its 50" sibling (and the pioneer), it is an ALIS panel with a resolution of 1024 x 1024. This makes it fully HD compatible but it will have to do some internal re-sizing with an HD signal.

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Dave there is quite a difference between a 42" 480 line resolution plasma and a 50" 720 line RPTV!!! The Optoma RD50 is even better pic than the Sagem, and adds HDCP compliancy. However it is quite poor with NTSC inputs. The Panasonic plasma is HDCP but as stated above not for 720 @ 50Hz which is the signal Sky HD will use.

Still my advice as always is get out and see some screens, decide which picture you prefer, then start worrying about connectivity. Odds are you are better suited to an RPTV if you are already considering the Sagem, and Sagem have a new 45" which is HDCP. Samsung have a sexy 50" which is too. And the Optoma RD50 which asides from NTSC issues is definitely the best pic of the cheaper RPTVs. All use the same HD2+ chip as seen in the Optoma (improvement over the HD2 chip seen in the older Sagem).

16. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Davei,

A properly set up XDE is fantastic, the only failings are the blacks aren't quite as true as a good panasonic and with a poor analogue feed the picture can be terrible. however on good analogue (bbc one -sky sports etc), component, and DVI/hdmi looks amazing.

Don't believ the "un"hype about Pioneers. Just because they look pretty doesn't mean they don't do the business.