1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdcp contenet??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tim k, Aug 17, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll get bored of me going on about .ts files but its my main source for hd at the moment and im loving getting home from work to a brand new 10gig film. One question i've got is about hdcp limitations. do us cable not have hdcp on there set top boxes, because if so how are they recording the .ts files straight from the box?? Presumably we will be able to do the same with the sky hd boxes?? i mean i know itll be a sky plus box. but surely this is gunna rocket the hd video piracy market??

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    AFAIK US Hi Def kit is mostly analogue so HDCP doesn't apply. They 've had it longer and can get it OTA as well. Mind you they had to get it first as their regular TV is pants (and thats not just the content).

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As binbag says the US had HD broadcasts a long time before a digital based content control system was inplace so they had to go with analogue component.

The US cappers have direct access to the digital datastream by using PC based tuner cards and STB's connected via Firewire.
    Both of these will not be an option for SKY's services although in time a PC based HD card for FTA and some encrypted content (Just as it is now for SD broadcasts and EURO1080) will exist.