HDCP compliant DVI to VGA converters (!!!)

G

GranPremio

Wisely folk

I have on the desk in front of me - two different makes of DVI to VGA converters, both claiming to be HDCP compliant. The first one from the USA and the second one from Korea.

Both do the job admirably and produce a crisp, bright, high definition picture, currently from PC over DVI. Does anyone know how I can check the HDCP compliance of these devices?

After carrying out tests and validating the claims of these devices I will be looking to import a 'bunch' for sale to Panny owners!! It is claimed by the Korean manufacturer, that as this ships out on VGA and not component, it does not fall foul of the HDMI rules, and has indeed been granted an HDMI licence specifically for this box.

....always knew there would be a solution.... where is Mr Triggs when you need him??!

I also have a USA version - seems fine - stung by customs though!!!

Not checked (dont know how to!) the HDCP compliance

I thought this sort of thing was supposed to be against the 'rules' of compliance
from the threads I read here a few weeks ago...

Supposed to be a "Will never happen, never be allowed' product, etc, etc...

Oh..meant to ask...

How much?

GranPremio said:
Wisely folk

I have on the desk in front of me - two different makes of DVI to VGA converters, both claiming to be HDCP compliant. The first one from the USA and the second one from Korea.

Both do the job admirably and produce a crisp, bright, high definition picture, currently from PC over DVI. Does anyone know how I can check the HDCP compliance of these devices?

You could try it with an upscaling DVD player such as a Pioneer 868 or Denon 2910. If they work fine, I might be interested in one of these gizmos... ;)

Steve

Dutch

That would test the HD part - but kind of tested that with the PC - the DVD players dont add an HDCP flag to the signal - it is this bit I need to test

Have pictures of it working with a Denon 3910, not tried myself though. Anyone NW UK (Oldham area) would gladly bring round to play!

Andrew_P_S said:
Dutch

That would test the HD part - but kind of tested that with the PC - the DVD players dont add an HDCP flag to the signal - it is this bit I need to test

Well they should do if they comply with DVD licensing rules on copy-protected (Macrovision) DVDs.

Steve

GP,

I've got Euro 1080 here and the Quali receiver's output is HDCP enabled. Happy to test your new toy here.

GranPremio said:
Have pictures of it working with a Denon 3910, not tried myself though. Anyone NW UK (Oldham area) would gladly bring round to play!
AFAIK the 3910 is fully HDCP compliant, therefore if that box does work with a 3910 then it must be HDCP compliant itself - amazingly!

Hmm... HDCP compliant - or HDCP hacked? :D

Piers/Peezee

Forgive my ignorance on this matter. I thought that even though the 3910 was HDCP capable - it will still play to a non HDCP screen, provided the content did not trigger the HDCP flag?? Eg, if I delved into the depths of my DVD collection, stuffed one into the 3910, and upscaled it to 720p/1080i, I would not need an HDCP display?

Am I barking, like a rabid dog, up the wrong tree? If I am, then alls well, I guess it will be easy to test!

Think what Piers is saying is that he has a source that IS 100% HDCP via Euro1080, and he is happy to test!?

You need to find content that is HDCP flagged, i don't think HD1 channel is HDCP flagged.

I didn't think Euro 1080 was HDCP flagged yet. The 3910 is and will be unless it's a homemade DVD. It'll be fascinating to see if they get around to disabling these devices. It's worthwhile to open one up to see what makers name is on the chips. Dont publish that though, PMs only. If they diable these chips, the converters will stop working, and so will anything else with the same chipset, we are led to believe! Excellent find though, I'm hoping to be testing an American one shortly too.

I already know what's the name is on the chip, none!

There was a thread in some other forum about a guy who opened it up and it was all scratched off.

Yep!! Just opened it up (after carefully tampering with the tamperproof seal) and lo and behold, the chip insignia has been well and truly scratched off!!

Ho Hum.... !!

there will be a way to test the chip (Boundry scan it!!!!) but need to scrap a device to do so...also it maybe a programmeble chip not dedicated silicon (CPLD/FPGA chip) they may have scratched the label off to stop cloning rather than legal action from HDCP liscence holders...........one you boundry scan it and lift the programming you can replicate 1000000s with out the development cost!!! be good to see one working and with 50Hz.......

Sounds good...

How much?

£250 is better than a couple of grand or so for a new HD ready plasma
for those (PW7) people like moi whose display isnt compatable!

Bring it on

Balls to custome...ill take the import duty charge!

In a perverse sort of way, agreements that restrict access to technology and
restrict available products are quite insidious and deserve to be broken..

It never serves the best interests of the consumer.

Pity they have to go to the lengths of physically removing the chip info.

Well done whoever made it :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom