1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDCP Adaptability

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by apokryphos, Feb 20, 2005.

1. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I'm in the market for a new LCD and was looking to get a 26" screen, being aware of advent of HDTV I've been doing some research on HDTV ready screens which led me here.

I found the "HDTV LCD's" thread which lists no 26" models at true HDTV Ready, however looking at various shops a lot of LCD's are being sold as "HDTV Ready". It seems most of these sets fit the required specs to handle HDTV but fail to be regarded as true HDTV because DVI input is not HDCP enabled.

I'm not sure if I've got my facts right on that, but if I have my question is, would it be possible for these sets to adapted to accomodate HDTV, or is anything not listed in the "HDTV LCD's" thread a complete non starter for HDTV?

Sorry if this has been asked before and sorry for using the term "HDTV" an obscene amount of times in my first post.

Thanks.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are now one or two 26's which are being touted as being HDCP sets. The most likely seems to be the VideoSeven 26". It is still to be verified thus, but with a bit of digging I'm sure this can be acertained. On the market at £600 - £650.

Check out their website and the E-buyer website for more details.

http://www.videoseven.com/website/displays/en/produkte/tvproducts/tv_tvlcds/ltv26c/index.htm

Sharp may do one too....

TV's that are not manufactured with HDCP coding cannot be later modified to accept it I'm afraid.

Jimmy

3. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks jimsan, that's the info I was looking for.

I haven't ruled out going to 32", there seems to be some good deals out there for the Toshiba 32WL48 and Philips 32PF9976. I'm in no rush though so hopefully we'll see some more choice on the 26" in the coming months.

Cheers.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Try the Loewe Xelos A 26"

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Sharp LC-26GA3E or GA4E should be OK, the 32" and 37" veresions are.

6. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a great looking set, but if I were going to spend that kind of money I'd probably go for a 32" set.

The Sharp website says the LC-26GA3E or GA4E are both DVI-HDCP compliant, I'll check them out.

Has anyone seen any reviews for the 26" Sharps? There seems to be lack of reviews for most manufacturers 26" sets in the magazines.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is generally thought, in the testing media, that a 26" TV is too small to be classified as a Home Cinema screen. These is therefore somewhat ignored.

Jimmy

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Also Dell W2600 is HDCP

as is Samsung LW26A33W

9. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to sit quite close by to have any advantage from HDTV on a 26" screen.
    Even 32" and 37" offer only scaled-down HDTV and at normal viewing distances the difference is not visible.

The only true 1920x1080 screens available now are 42" and above.

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    And is 720p not classified as HDTV then? In my book, 32" and 37" at 1366x768 is scaled up HDTV. 720p is nearly the bandwidth of 1080i but a very much better looking picture IMO especially since much of the advantage is lost when it is scaled down. 1920x1080 will not come in to their own until 1080p and that is a long long way off for broadcast media.

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be difficult to sell 720p (as HDTV) and have the public pay premium prices, given that we already have 576 lines.
    This is the reason HDTV took off so fast in NTSC countries: their picture was much worse to begin with. We have decent 625 line PAL. Remember that France once had 819 line system, and they weren't calling it HDTV then.

A modern 32" TV shows such a good picture from 625 (576) line PAL scaled up to the display resolution that the difference with 720p is noticable but not a selling point that will peope (the masses) make spending thousands on.

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There is a huge huge huge difference between 625 PAL (720x576@25 frames/50 fields per second) and 720p (1280x720@50 frames per second)

13. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can compare them on my TV, and IMHO the difference (while very noticable) is less than the difference between good quality PAL and overly compressed DVB.

People now downgrade from good quality PAL (cable) to overly compressed DVB (terrestrial network called "Digitenne") here because it saves them 7 euro a month.
    I don't expect such consumers to spend serious money on 720p HDTV.

And, again (this has also come up in an earlier thread): TV today is only a business to make money. There is little or nothing left of the idealistic gvt or semi-gvt institutions that wanted to bring the best. Today a TV company compares the running cost with the income from advertisement, and decides on that basis. When there is no huge selling point in favor of HDTV, it is not going to happen.

14. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm pretty much in the same boat at the moment. I'm looking for a 26 or 27 inch LCD for the bedroom, it really doesn't even need to be that big, but 32" will just be way too huge for the bedroom.
    So far the choices in this thread seem to be:

VideoSeven V7 LTV26C
    Sharp LC-26GA3E/A4E
    Loewe Xelos A 26"
    Samsung LW26A33W

I've also been looking at the Toshiba 27WL46B, and the Philips 26PF8946, are either of these any good?

I was initially looking to try and find a TV that is HDTV ready, but if HDTV doesn't have any real benefits at this size, then surely I should try and get a bargain on one of the older models that has good picture quality, but isn't HDTV-ready and therefore sells for a little less?

15. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Sharp LC-26GA4E can be picked up for £850, I'm going to check this one out.