HDCP 2.2 workaround for Sony projector?

davidaa

Novice Member
Hello I have the 500 es projector which isn't HDCP compliant and a HDCP Yamaha av receiver. Will I run into problems connecting them or streaming stuff and is there a workaround?

Many thanks

David

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your VPL-WV500es is HDCP 1.4 compliant - so fine for all HD sources plus some 4K Sources - other 4K Sources will require HDCP 2.2.

HDFury have a few options for HDCP2.2 to 1.4 conversion - the Linker or Integral being your least cost options.

Which AVR do you have and which Source devices are you working with?

Joe

davidaa

Novice Member
Your VPL-WV500es is HDCP 1.4 compliant - so fine for all HD sources plus some 4K Sources - other 4K Sources will require HDCP 2.2.

HDFury have a few options for HDCP2.2 to 1.4 conversion - the Linker or Integral being your least cost options.

Which AVR do you have and which Source devices are you working with?

Joe

Hi Joe, thank you for your response. I now have a pioneer lx 59. Still none the wiser..

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your projector is HDCP1.4 compliant - if it is the only display connected to the AVR your Source devices will see the EDID (capabilities) info from the projector and adjust their output to suit the Projector (1080p) and the projector will up convert to fill its ‘4K’ pixels.

If you want to send 4K to the projector you will have to install a device such as the HDFury Vertex2 which can send audio to the AVR and allow you to ‘fudge’ HDCP to send 4K to the projector - the projector has an odd combination of supported formats on its HDMI Input so you may still hit some limitations with some source devices unless you were willing to invest in a far more costly video processor from the likes of Lumagen.

HDfury Vertex² - The Media Factory

Joe

davidaa

Novice Member
Your projector is HDCP1.4 compliant - if it is the only display connected to the AVR your Source devices will see the EDID (capabilities) info from the projector and adjust their output to suit the Projector (1080p) and the projector will up convert to fill its ‘4K’ pixels.

If you want to send 4K to the projector you will have to install a device such as the HDFury Vertex2 which can send audio to the AVR and allow you to ‘fudge’ HDCP to send 4K to the projector - the projector has an odd combination of supported formats on its HDMI Input so you may still hit some limitations with some source devices unless you were willing to invest in a far more costly video processor from the likes of Lumagen.

HDfury Vertex² - The Media Factory

Joe
Thanks Joe. Ins't there anything that's not so crazy expensive?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which Source devices do you have?

How long is the AVR to Projector cable and which cable do you have?

What have you tried to get working so far?

You have what was a relatively expensive Projector which is hampered by the embedded connectivity tech - HDFury is one of the few, possibly only, options to allow you to work around some of the projectors limitations.

How relevant the Projectors limitations will be for you is down to which Source devices you have and which formats you want to support.

Joe

davidaa

Novice Member
Thanks Joe.

I am using a firestick and a good Blu-Ray player. The system works fine when using Plex for 4k .

I just purchased this
Amazon product
but I'm getting the annoying HDCP 2.2 message.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDCP is the content protection scheme used to protect 4K UHD content - your projector pre dates the introduction of HDCP 2.2 so you require a device to convert or remove it If you want to send 4K video from most Source devices plus send the the HD audio to your legacy AVR.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
PLEX suggests you may be playing back content which has already had HDCP removed!

Maybe ‘crazy’ = not that simple to accomplish :)

There is a limited market for a complex device which requires FW updates to keep up with changes which the hardware manufacturers are constantly introducing.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If I read your plans correctly you are assembling a system witch includes a ‘legacy’ decent quality Pioneer AVR plus Sony Projector, neither of which are fully compliant/compatible with the latest 4K UHD Source devices.

You have a couple of options either A. stick with connecting the source devices via the AVR and outputting 1080p + immersive audio and allow the projector to up-convert the video signal or B. add the HDFury Vertex2 and connect the Sources to the HDFury then output up to 4K video to the Projector plus HD/Immersive audio to the AVR.

Joe

davidaa

Novice Member
If I read your plans correctly you are assembling a system witch includes a ‘legacy’ decent quality Pioneer AVR plus Sony Projector, neither of which are fully compliant/compatible with the latest 4K UHD Source devices.

You have a couple of options either A. stick with connecting the source devices via the AVR and outputting 1080p + immersive audio and allow the projector to up-convert the video signal or B. add the HDFury Vertex2 and connect the Sources to the HDFury then output up to 4K video to the Projector plus HD/Immersive audio to the AVR.

Joe
Many Thanks Joe. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out and stop me pulling even more hair out.

oneear

Hi Joe

Would it be cheaper for the original poster to buy an hdcp 2.2 compliant amp and sell the old one? That’s what I did after struggling with all the new standards.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi oneear - ordinarily that would be an option but not with this system where the Sink (Projector) is the problem, the OP now has an HDCP2.2 compatible AVR in the system.

It was a very decent (and expensive) Projector introduced at the beginning of the 4K revolution and lacks compatibility with most 4K UHD Source devices - if a Source won’t work at the required format on a direct connection to the Projector you will have the same result going via the AVR.

There is also the requirement to send HD/immersive audio to the AVR.

Joe

oneear

Joe
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Maybe the OP should try some EDID emulators otherwise HD Fury seems like a sure shot solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom