Hdcd

L

lisa burrell

I see one of my favourite cds is in HDCD format Madeline Peroux first CD.

i surfed to find out more about HDCD ..Was suprised to see there is only around 116 cd made in this format. I typed HDCd in amazon uk and saw it was mostly king crimson. What facinated me was I read this format supose to play on all cd players and sounds superb on dedicated players. So 100 odd cds is this all ready a red herring. If so good so compatable, why are all new cd's not in this format i wonder? You would think they might be as would i be on the right track thinking that HDcd is the next genaration of cd players to come.

Mike Oldfield's back catalogue has been remastered in HDCD, HDCD has been around for a few years now it is not the "next generation" of CD it is an evolution of CD and it looks like the introduction of SACD and DVD Audio has done for the format which is a pity as the difference is clearly audible, strictly speaking a HDCD is not a CD as it does not conform to the Redbook standard of 44.1 kilohertz.

...and there are quite a few more than 116 titles. many aren't marked as HDCD, every so often i put a disc in my player and am pleasantly surprised to see the little red logo light up:)

The U.S (import) of American Beauty OST has a fidelity and accuracy matched only by the best SACD imho. Really very very good indeed, an absolute reference recording.

Steve.EX said:
HCCD encoded of course.

Thanks you don it again what a clever lot you are.. mmm My friend bought the living stereo boston pops on SACD. loves it..but thought like me the whole point of that format was so we could hear our favourite music in surround sound only to find like the title says its in stereo, brilliant but still a little suprised.

(My dad has a couple of these dvd audio surround things which are very nice
one is someone called America. the title is homecoming and its brilliant and another is Donald Fagens the Nightfly some elo, which sounds great too. He wants chicago second album on sacd see's it avail but has not made the big spend yet, anyone got it? he asks is it worth it? Wants to hear what the make me smile suite sounds like..) :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom