HDCD ?

Vogon

Established Member
Reaction score
Searching discogs I found a CD with available as HDCD listed. I was listening to that CD myself, thinking it was a nice recording, and when I checked the copy I have has the HDCD logo on it.
Wikipedia lists: High Definition Compatible Digital - Wikipedia
My question is, do any of you know about this, and what can you tell me beyond what Wikipedia says ?
As my Amp has technically an HD DAC, and is being fed by the CD player via optical, would that be picking up on it, or is it just a nicely mastered recording ?

HDCD's will play on any cd player but I think you need to have a player with some sort of HDCD decoding to benefit. All my Arcam players will play HDCD and a little red light comes on to signify HDCD. The HDCD discs I have tend to sound pretty good but I've never compared using the same disc on a non HDCD player so I have no idea of any real benefits.

I've got one. Fragile by Yes. My Denon DCD 2500 shows it playing as a standard CD. It's not as good as SACD and certainly no better than some titles I've got from the 1990s that have high dynamic ranges. Before spending out on a HDCD check out the available redbooks on dr.loudness wars.

Not about to buy a player Gibbsy, just curious 🤪
My Multiformat DVD player just flags it as a CD, but then it doesn't claim to support HDCD.

I used to have a Linn Genki player and that played my Mark Knopfler HD discs. Is there a difference standard CD to HD? Yes there is, opened up the sound stage and a crispness to the sound. But I have only heard my Knopfler disc's on my Genki.
And it used to say on the Genki HD disc when it was playing.

My old Rotel RCD951 played HDCD discs but you could never find any to buy :facepalm:. This was 1999 before internet shopping. I found one. Painted From Memory by Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach. There was a noticeable difference between this and standard CDs. Never seemed to catch on as a format.

If you go on Discogs for any title the menu will tell you if there are HDCDs available. I wanted the Steven Wilson remix of Fragile and thought I'd give the HDCD version a try, cost £21.

If you go on Discogs for any title the menu will tell you if there are HDCDs available. I wanted the Steven Wilson remix of Fragile and thought I'd give the HDCD version a try, cost £21.

Bit expensive for that one. I just got the CD/Blu Ray combo for around £13.

Bit expensive for that one. I just got the CD/Blu Ray combo for around £13.
I wouldn't listen on BR as the wife simply isn't into Prog so I thought I'd give HDCD a try. Did have a bit of buyer's remorse thinking I must be off my trolley. It's a good edition, whether or not that's down to Wilson's remix I don't know as I've not listened to it before on CD and my vinyl memory of it is buried in my dim and distant past but I seem to remember it and other Yes vinyls feeling very flat.

I wouldn't listen on BR as the wife simply isn't into Prog so I thought I'd give HDCD a try. Did have a bit of buyer's remorse thinking I must be off my trolley. It's a good edition, whether or not that's down to Wilson's remix I don't know as I've not listened to it before on CD and my vinyl memory of it is buried in my dim and distant past but I seem to remember it and other Yes vinyls feeling very flat.

My point was simply that I got the CD version and accompanying BR for a cheaper price. Unless the one you got was different from the Panegyric release. What was the label of the one you ordered?

My point was simply that I got the CD version and accompanying BR for a cheaper price. Unless the one you got was different from the Panegyric release. What was the label of the one you ordered?
Atlantic, Japanese HDCD issue from the 2015 Wilson remix. Comes in a cardboard replica of the original album cover and is as well packed as MoFi SACDs with two inner sleeves for the disc. Apart from that the enclosed booklet is all in Japanese.

I've only listened to it on my Denon 2500 SACD player and Oppo headphones. The Japanese editions do tend to draw a higher cost. First one though that I've been tempted with as I like what Wilson did with all the Jethro Tull remixes.

Atlantic, Japanese HDCD issue from the 2015 Wilson remix. Comes in a cardboard replica of the original album cover and is as well packed as MoFi SACDs with two inner sleeves for the disc. Apart from that the enclosed booklet is all in Japanese.

I've only listened to it on my Denon 2500 SACD player and Oppo headphones. The Japanese editions do tend to draw a higher cost. First one though that I've been tempted with as I like what Wilson did with all the Jethro Tull remixes.

Sounds great. If you're looking for other CDs at a much lower cost with HDCD, you probably already have Joni Mitchell's Blue, Hissing and Court & Spark.

I know what you mean about costs though as I've just ordered 5 albums that are Japanese editions UHQCD versions of some classic albums. Should get them by next weekend. I just wanted to try them as an alternative to my favourite MoFi SACDs.

Got a few here,but not notice a real difference :)

In think the problem is that it is often quite difficult to compare an HDCD with a non-HDCD version of the same album. I can't say I have ever felt that I had to chase down an HDCD version of an album. All of mine are ones that came with it and were a reasonable price, e.g. standard CD price.

For me, it's mostly SACDs where I notice the most improvement, but that could also be down to improved mastering.

@gibbsy -- knowing you are a big Joni Mitchell fan, did you know that there is a UHDCD MQA version of Blue? Cheapest place I've found is from all_your_music on eBay. If you buy two titles, it's 15% off.

Asylum.:( Only found a near mint on flea bay for £19.

I still think you'll like it. Seemed much clearer/cleaner than my original CD copy. I felt the same compared to my vinyl version, but I'm relying on memory here as I sold off my vinyl collection some time ago.

I though the copy I had was still available from Amazon for cheaper than that though.

I still think you'll like it. Seemed much clearer/cleaner than my original CD copy. I felt the same compared to my vinyl version, but I'm relying on memory here as I sold off my vinyl collection some time ago.

I though the copy I had was still available from Amazon for cheaper than that though.
Only used on Amazon.

Only used on Amazon.

I just found the same one as mine at £4.56 on Amazon. That's a new one.

Edit: Actually not sure if the one on Amazon is the one I've got as mine has HDCD printed clearly on the back of the inlay, while the one of Amazon doesn't. Same barcode though, so confusing.

Last edited:
I just found the same one as mine at £4.56 on Amazon. That's a new one.
What I've ordered:

Notes
HDCD reissue/remaster, first issued in the mid-90s. As with other the other Joni Mitchell HDCD remasters, the catalog # is identical to the previous Canadian non-HDCD release.
Mastering Engineer credit for Bernie Grundman is likely a legacy credit from the original US vinyl release.
Booklet includes lyrics
©1973 Crazy Crow Music BMI except track 11 ©1965 Prestige Music BMI
Mastered at Ocean View Digital Mastering, Los Angeles, California, using the Pacific Microsonics HDCD system.

Barcode and Other Identifiers
  • Barcode: 075596059329

What I've ordered:

Notes
HDCD reissue/remaster, first issued in the mid-90s. As with other the other Joni Mitchell HDCD remasters, the catalog # is identical to the previous Canadian non-HDCD release.
Mastering Engineer credit for Bernie Grundman is likely a legacy credit from the original US vinyl release.
Booklet includes lyrics
©1973 Crazy Crow Music BMI except track 11 ©1965 Prestige Music BMI
Mastered at Ocean View Digital Mastering, Los Angeles, California, using the Pacific Microsonics HDCD system.

Barcode and Other Identifiers
  • Barcode: 075596059329

Exact same one I have. Didn't realise they had gone up so much. I think you'll enjoy it. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom