1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdcd

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chris, May 12, 2004.

1. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Where can i find a list of/site with HDCD's......??
    I got this feature on my Arcam 89, but i dont think i have got any HDCD's.

How would i know.....????...... does it say HDCD on the case or disk....????......are most newer CD's HDCD......????
    I'd like to see if there is anything i like in HDCD and weather i think it sounds better or not.

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try typing www.google.com and then HDCD as a search string. The music catalog will be on the top of the first site found.

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Vivante Music (a UK company) sells HDCD. I've forgotten their web address but a search should do it. Not cheap though. No, most CDs aren't HD - it's a specific technology owned by Microsoft. Yes, the case tells you it's an HDCD. Does it sound better? I can't tell the difference between HDCD and well-recorded CD, but I don't claim to have golden ears.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I happen to love HDCDs, are they noticably better than the very best redbook CDs I own ? Well no !!, but the best recorded stuff (and I mean head and shoulders above “normal” CDs) I own is generally comparable to every HDCD I own, that tells me that if a disc has HDCD on it, that decent care has been taken in the recording process.

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8454&sid=9f0550951c5953c205faca4145ea6370

If you are thinking of buying one to try out, I would urge you to try Chris Issaks : Baja Sessions. You may well start collecting them after that.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think that what you're getting at there is very true.....someone's taken the time to record the session as well as they can....in that respect,I don't think it matters whether or not HDCD has been used as a part of the process,as it's worth approximately 1bit in terms of dynamic range,but having some index of a good recording is worthwhile.

So many CD's are recorded with the lowest common denominator in mind for replay,rather than making them as good as the medium is capable of,which is a real shame.

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Funnily enough Alex the USA is where the majority of HDCD recording studios are, now looking at the types of music that come out of the US, 2 for me stand out as head & shoulders above other genres, Female Country & Western (Alison Krauss, Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill, KD Lang, Lucinda Williams) the recording quality on nearly every one I hear is superb, RnB Soul is another, the septics just know intrinsically how to record this material IMHO, now having listened to many albums a couple I would classify as “reference” audio are actually redbooks : India Arie – Acosutic Soul, Stevie Wonder – Innervisions an AAD – Michael Jackson – History, there are quite a few, but in very case of a HDCD I put in the recording quality is sublime mathces this level no problem, so I would say HDCD are a level above redbooks CDs normally just that very good redbooks are rare comapred to every HDCD Ive ever heard.

ATB

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's interesting to read those comments,as a lot of C&W,regardless of whether or not you like the genre,is very well recorded,by engineers who really do put some work into it.

I've only got a couple of HDCD's,and the quality is good,definitely,but for me anyway,the best CD's I have are still standard red book ones,albeit Mobile Fidelity or other remasterings of previous issues,and another 2 that stand out are Steely Dan's most recent efforts,but their attention to detail is legendary!

I still think that CD as a medium is often sold short by very poor recording standards,and compressed dynamic range to enable things to sound ok on poor equipment.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Oddly enough, most of the releases on the Hellcat label are HDCD. Same with the current Pitchshifter releases amongst others.

Obviously there's still someone out there who cares about rock music :)

9. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never a truer word spoken :lesson:

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Was having a think about the best recorded stuff in my redbook collection apart from all the audiophile 24-Bit remastered efforts, Ive got a couple of Gold CDs from Sheffield Labs (Kodo Drummers) HDCDS etc etc, but ordinary redbooks CDs are able to be recorded at very high levels - if an artist cares for the level of recording here are a few random that to me are consistantly at the forefront of audio quality :

Sting (Say what you want about the dude but his recording quality is second to none)
    Peter Gabriel
    Pink Floyd
    Chris Issak
    Kate Bush
    Blue Nile

A lot of these are AAD / ADD, funnily enough a lot of stuff I hear htese days is very well recorded its getting better I would say but there are genreally artists renowned for the audio quality old Madge is another, never heard a duff Madonna album recording wise. So artists with one eye on quality are about.

11. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CJ agree the Chris Issak CD.

Was listening today to a Oasis Cd to day (Morning glory) and the quality is appalling, then listened to the Gladiator soundtrack and you wonder whether you are listening to 2 different mediums

12. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Sticker a very good observation Im familiar with both of the CDs you mention above, the Gladiator Soundtracks (1 & 2 - a stunning album as well BTW) are amongst the best OSTs Ive heard for quality from redbook CD, Ive always found it funny when you hear people complaining about CD being unlistenable that recording quality varies from sublime to ridiculous in the next CD you can buy.

Anyway my tip for a OST : Thomas Newman : Road To Perdition HDCD as well. Crank that right up and enjoy.

13. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thaks for the replys people.....looks like i will have to go a serching.
    Is it just new stuff that is recorded in HDCD or would there be older stuff that might of been transfered from vinyl to HDCD......???
    Thinking of older 50's rockabilly/hillbilly stuff.
    I'm just starting to try and get a collection of older stuff on CD now that i'm starting to get back into listerning to music.

Have not played much vinyl or cd's for ages ( talking years here ), was just listerning to the odd mp3 or sky music channels..........think it was down to the crap gear i used to buy, as since i've started buying better gear, i'm getting more and more into listerning again and have started getting the records and disks back out of storage (the loft).

14. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.hdcd.com/music_catalog/music.asp?action=AtoZ

www.linnrecords.com

There are hundreds of titles not on this "official" list Chris, loads of HDCDs are not even marked on cases or discs.
    But when the little HDCD lamp flicks on its a nice surprise. FWIW I believe all Linn SACD/CD Hybrids are also HDCD
    on the CD layer would be interesting to hear your thoughts of your 2900 using the SACD side in stereo and the HDCD side.
    As Alex says redbook CD can sound magical (quite often to me BTW) your sort of guaranteed that with HDCD, so go with
    getting HDCDs they are generally magical to my ears, like the very best redbook CD can achieve IMHO.

Other good HDCDs to try is Roxy Music : Flesh & Blood , and also their greatest hits on HDCD. Dire Straits : Sultans of Swing,
    Anwyay read thru the HFC thread some great suggestions in there.

PS I hope you are listening to the Sky radio channels via a digital link towards your 3803 ? The best digital radio in the UK is from Sky FWIW - highest bitrates.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    You guys need to listen to the RR (Dr Johnson) disc that has the same music with and without HDCD encoding which is very interesting when couple with say the HDCD AV32R