HDCD chips

knotpc

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know which DVD players have HDCD chips in to play this format to full capability.
I know HDCD's are backward compatible, but I wanted to know which players utilised the extra quality if any.

Regards
knotpc

Mid and upper range Denon players decode HDCD.

Cable Monkey said:
Mid and upper range Denon players decode HDCD.

Cable Monkey,
You don't know if the 1920 does?
I've looked on the Denon UK site but there is no mention that I can see of HDCD on any players.
Theres a few HDCD's on ebay at the moment and just wondering if its worth getting some.

Regards
knotpc

The Panasonic DVD-S52 plays HDCDs.

It would appear my Denon 1920 doesn't have the HDCD processing chip, so thats my interest diminished:( .

Regards
knotpc

Processing can also be done in a receiver.

knotpc has a 1906 and that does not do HDCD either.
Don't disregard the option of buying the HDCD's for reasons other than the way they are mastered. They tend to have more care taken during recording and the benefits normally translate across to normal 16 bit playback also. However if the whole idea really does interest you, you may need to re-think your entire setup.

Edit: I take back 'entire'. The speakers can stay!:)

It was a more general comment aimed to help others who had interest in HDCD rather than 1906 spcifically, any old CD player could feed a receiver with HDCD if they wanted.

My interest was an ebay seller was selling lots of HDCD's and gold CD's in Peterborough, so I was thinking of getting some as DVDA's and SACD's seem so expensive, especially as I would be replacing mostly what I have allready on old CD's.

Hoping I could save some postage by picking them up.
But this morning the sellar has disappeared copletely as far as ebay is concerned.
Obviously too good to be true (legal?).

As for a change of set up, it's a bit late as I only got the Denons this year.

Regards
knotpc

Nic Rhodes said:
It was a more general comment aimed to help others who had interest in HDCD rather than 1906 spcifically, any old CD player could feed a receiver with HDCD if they wanted.

Or HDCD stereo PCM DAC (ala TAG DAC 20) :smashin:

Toshiba SD-900 & SD-9500 have HDCDs filters in them. The SD-9500 is glorious to my ears playing HDCD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom