HDBaseT

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JokerJack, Jan 6, 2012.

1. JokerJack

JokerJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    hopefully this is right place for this query :)

been thinking for awhile to change my current setup a little to make things easier, my current setup is:-

Living room:-
    Skyhd
    pioneer 50" tv
    Mac mini running plex
    blu-ray player
    denon avr-3312
    Monitor audio 5.1 speakers

Other room:-
    42" lg tv
    skyhd
    popcorn hour
    PS3

Bedroom:-
    32" samsung tv
    mede8er

All 3 rooms are networked using cat6 cable and have 1gig network switches attached with 8tb nas.

I would like to share the mac mini, skyhd and blu-ray player form the living room and extend them to the other 2 rooms using hdbaset as i only have one cable going to each of the rooms.

How do i share all the inputs in the living room given the fact that they all go into the avr-3312?

I guess i would need something for all the inputs to plug into then the something would need to go into the avr-3312 for normal viewing in the living room and then some sort of receiver in the other rooms. Also would will i be able to control all the above devices from the other rooms?

I don't want to lose any pic or audio quality from the living room just send the signal around the house.

Thanks for your help :)

2. JokerJack

JokerJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Hi all :)

I raised a thread earlier in the wrong section i think (maybe an admin can merge this one or just move it to this section?)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/interconnects-speaker-cables-switches/1570601-hdmi-over-ip.html

MODERATOR NOTE: Now merged

Been thinking off adding a HDBaseT to simipify my environment, i.e. get rid of two of my media players and multi room (sky), in my post i just wanted to know how the HDBaseT would work with my devon avr-3312 receiver (and still do) and also if they work over my current network. I now know it won't work over my lan as i have a switched network.

Can i then get an lan splitter for my one cat6 cable and use it like that, i.e split my network cable, have one to the router for all my data traffic and the other one for HDBaseT? This would in theory give me the point to point cable connection.

Hopefully i have explained myself :)

3. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    HDbaseT is still only a point to point link.

If you get the ones with the Ethernet port the you could wire from your switch to the HDBT unit this would share HD Video and Ethernet down the same line and the split it back out again at the other end.

I have this in two houses where the cable (not installed by me) was to unpredictable to use normal baluns, these have been rock solid.

HTH

V.

4. JokerJack

JokerJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    thanks for your reply, are you saying that i can just connect the HDBaseT straight into my network switch and the signal will still be send down my router? or would i have to split the cat6 cable before the switch? the use one lead for the data network and one for the HDBaseT? also and sorry to be a pain but do you know if the network splitters are any good or would i have to cut the existing rj45 off and the split to cable into 2? thanks for your help

5. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Almost, plug it the other way round.

So, assuming you have a data cable already running between the router and screen position.

Remove cable feeding screen position from router and plug into the Output side of the HDBT Transmitter (Tx).
    Use a short patch lead to connect between the router and the 'Ethernet input' port on the HDBT Tx
    Connect your HD source into the HDMI Input of the HDBT Tx

At the receive end, connect the cable that used to come from the router into the 'Input' or 'Receive' side of the HDBT Receiver (Rx)
    Connect a short patch lead to connect the 'Ethernet Out' to what ever device you want to be connected to the router
    Connect a HDMI Lead from the HDMI Out to the Screen.

If you want to, and the HDBT pair that you buy has it, then there is full IR pass through in both directions as well. so you can control the remote source from the screen position or even control the screen from the source end.

As I have said, I have used these twice with great success, to the extent they are the only HD Balun I will use if the cable is of an unknown quality or route. It just saves so many possible headaches.

Does that help?

V.

6. JokerJack

JokerJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Is it does thank you very much :)

7. JokerJack

JokerJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    sorry vex one more question :)

can i create a vlan on my managed switched network without having to split the cat6?

Thanks for all your help..

8. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Sorry, why would you need to split the cable or create a vlan?

HDBT is NOT an ip based service, it just happens to use the same cable type.

V.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,229
    HDMI over Twisted Pair or HDMI over HDBaseT are both lossless - HDMI over IP is variable depending on network traffic.

You may want to consider a plan that includes 'Whole House' + Cinema room Sources - the Whole House Sources connect via a Matrix and the Cinema Room Sources (main BD player) are connected directly to the AVR.

The Distributed 'Whole House' sources will be configured as Video + 2.0 (HDMI to the Matrix) plus 5.1 (Optical or Coax to the AVR) - unless your really keen on 5.1 in every room and install AVR's, Soundbars or TV's that are 5.1 compatible via HDMI.

Your Matrix will likely support 'routed' IR to allow you to control your Matrix + Source kit from each Zone.

Joe