HDBaseT with LAN Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sellers75, Sep 22, 2015.

1. sellers75

sellers75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, however I can't find a complete answer and really need some advice as I'm very new to this and don't want to spank a load of money then get it wrong...

I'm having the house refurbished and hence want to create a distributed AV solution whilst the whole place is getting re-wired. I've seen a few options in terms of HDBaseT solutions from CYP, Wyrestorm, HDAnywhere etc. BUT, I also want a remote KVM solution so that I can have my PC Tower at Node Zero, whilst having the Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse, Speakers etc etc elsewhere (purely for a neat looking solution, the KVM is in the kitchen...).

Basically, what's the best way to wire it? I have media files on a NAS, we also use Smart TV services like Netflix. I have a PS3 but assume any solution that puts a PS3 in Node 0 is clunky due to the Bluetooth thing... Could the PC Tower be plumbed directly into the HDBaseT device then viewed anywhere? I also understand that the remote HDBaseT units have LAN distributed via the Ethernet ports... Does this just mean I can plug anything into it and access the internet?

Finally I do some PC gaming so I'm looking for low latency in this respect... See attached my pure guess at a network diagram (looking at it now I guess I wouldn't connect the NAS to the switch and the HDBaseT unit but hey ho, not editing it now!). Not sure if I need a switch at all but what do you think!? Thanks very much!

[​IMG]

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,432
    HDBT has the potential to carry a 10/100 Network along with your HDMI signal.

HDBT is not capable of carrying a Gigabit network - so may not be ideal in the long term.

HDBT chip vendors also provide chip options which omit the 10/100 and many Matrix go with that option as unless you cannot run a second cable it is always better to run the network traffic on its own cable.

Joe

3. sellers75

sellers75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response Joe. So based on my understanding of your response my network diagram would work okay. The NAS as a media source to TV's through HDBT would be fine (even at 4K), but keep a separate cable for data transmission to wherever I need it. Eg pulling files, downloading etc?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,432
    I would keep the Network away from the HDBT Matrix and run it on a separate cable to every TV/Media player.

The NAS will be storing data and your Media Players will pull the data across the network - you won't be rendering it as a video signal until it arrives at the Media Player (which could be inbuilt to the TV, a stand alone Player in each Zone or a centralised Media Player who's HDMI Output is then plugged into the HDMI Matrix).

Ideally you will run 3 or 4 CAT6 out to each Zone - one of which will be used for HDBT to take Video Out to the Zone.

Joe

5. sellers75

sellers75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great advice! Thanks...