Hdbaset over cat 5e

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Jersey Paul, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jersey Paul

Jersey Paul
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

This is my first posting so hi to all. My question is that when we renovated our farmhouse some 11 years ago, we installed hdmi1.2 and cat 5e. Sadly although all cabling was hidden in the walls, terminating in a central AV cupboard, we did not put in trunking to feed new cables though for future proofing. The situation is now that i would like to upgrade my sterling pioneer plasmas(still very good)to new 4k stuff. I am somewhat at a loss as to how to get 4k down cat 5e so that i can use my new replacement Denon av/amps. I have already purchased a hdbaset extender that pumps 1080 down cat 5e and mistakenly i believed that this would also do 2/4k also. The supplier has now said that it will not, just 1080p max. Guess i should of read the specification and not the advertising headline.. The run is 20 metres. I have q8 cable too that we installed, its a thick green cable with lots of smaller coloured cables inside, again installed at the time of our build(previously run 1080 component over this). Does anyone know if there are hdbaset units that will do higher than 1080p down single CAT5e only with ir ?

Worst case scenario i guess is to wifi from my asus router in the cupboard(fibre broadband) and then push the sound back to the amp in the av cupboard down the q8 cables/optical out to cat 5e converter as and when i want to watch 4k stuff on the tv, the rest of the time i guess i could use the denon x2300 amp to run video/audio to the tv down the newly purchased hdbaset unit at 1080p max.

any help greatly appreciated.

cheers

Paul

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,556
    HDBaseT (HDBT) is a 'family' of chip sets with differing feature sets.

Our current HDBT Extender will deliver UHD at 60/50Hz at 8-bit - HDMI Extenders – The Media Factory

The Next Gen of HDBT chips will deliver UHD at 10-bit using 'visually lossless' compression - very little actual hardware from any manufacturers as yet and carry a big price premium.

HDBT have sill to address HDMI 2.1 and it's even higher bandwidth requirements.

Joe

3. Jersey Paul

Jersey Paul
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, the question is specific to 4K only over cat5e not 6/7. Do you have any converters that would do 4K over 20 metres with cat5e.....this is at the moment, my only cable option, sadly!!

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,828
    My experience is that you need to try it, as there are few hard and fast rules!

Joins and faceplates with patch cables make things worse, while thinner nastier Cat5E often works better than really thick installation or deployable cable - due to lower capacitance. I run 1080p HDbaseT on 60M of flexible cat5E for events and it's rock solid. Not tried 4K yet, but my spies tell me it works fine.

Find a supplier willing to lend or sale / return a sender and see how it handles it.

There's not a huge amount of UHD content as yet and the difference between HD and UHD is nowhere near as large as the jump from SD to HD. Might be worth hanging on 6 months and seeing what arrives in terms of new kit.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,556
    Our Octava HDS100 HDBT Extender supports 2160p up to 60Hz at 8-Bit - 20m will not be an issue, assuming you don't have CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) CAT5.

Joe

6. Jersey Paul

Jersey Paul
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys thanks . I already have a hdbaset neet extender which is running 1080 over cat5e to my trusty Pioneer plasma , as the builder (? )Had snapped the hdmi cable when we built the house (11yrs ago) and since then we used component cable (all in wall) and I have recently switched to the hd over cat 5e in this the snug/kitchen/family room .I will try the neet extender in my lounge to see if I can get 2/4K that way. This room is not used much, hence a cost effective Hisense 55 inch going in last week . 4K fine over wifi but would still prefer to hard wire it with cat5e which is poking out of the wall right behind this wall mounted tv. I am hoping that cat5e can support arc so I can utilise the amps in my av cupboard in my hall, but I'm not hopeful of that and may have to rely on the tv speakers when watching content from the tv.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,556
    ARC - you would have to look for that as a supported Feature of any Extender you install. Most HDBT units will not support ARC.

Joe

8. prk504

prk504
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My monoprice hdbaset set from early 2016 did 4k 4:2:0 color over cat5 with IR control. No arc. I used a optical over cat5 balun in lieu of arc

9. DLoop

DLoop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140