HDbaseT device

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by clarkashford, Feb 18, 2014.

1. clarkashford

clarkashford
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Joined for a bit of advice as im confused about the current options regarding HDbaseT. I've been reading up on it as much as the subject matter has and im still non the wiser about the options out there.
    Does anyway know when the 5play feature set will be developed by the major companies to devices? In a retro-fit environment im looking at a 4x4 HDbaseT matrix with POE. The plan is I will connect up 2x consoles 1x htpc 1x TiVo/sky box. Undecided about the consoles however as with Kinect I wont be able to use that unless I install at source. But then I also want to be able to send that signal to other tvs in the house (4 of which)
    I wont mention competiotn due to the advertisers here but I've looked at a range which retails at £1,600 with what I need it to do.
    Any help would be greatly received as I am in limbo here.

Thanks
    Clark

2. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Feel free to mention what you have been looking for, its very possible we have direct experience of it. I would put game consoles local, this is really the only way. We send the signal to the rack over HDBaseT point-to-point into AVR for that room, we very rarely distribute game consoles.

We pretty much use only CYP now, they also do a 4*6 matix (4 HDBaseT and 2 HDMI outs) which is worth considering especially if you have AVR zones.

Dupe...

3. clarkashford

clarkashford
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see well that's a bit of an issue as i really wanted the ability to use the console in the two rooms. The product i looked into was HDanywhere 4x4 matrix via HDbaseT with POE think it came to around £1500 all told.

What about HDMI extenders with HDbaseT as a cheaper alternative? I am really set on having the console(s) at the matrix however or via extenders i don't much care for the Kinect anyway.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We have just brought out our new 4x4 HDBaseT matrixes with POC (power over cable - same as POE but correct terminology!!) , and routed/discrete two way IR .

We have two models a 1080p and a 4K2K version

All come complete with POC Receivers and all the IR parts including 4 x remote controls

HDMI Over HDBaseT (Single Cat5/6 Cable) Matrix Systems

Start at £1299+Vat for the 1080p version, 5% discount for AVF members

Your best bet is to locate the Xbox (?) in the room with the Kinect and controller and then extend this into the matrix from the room for the HDMi

5. clarkashford

clarkashford
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Aclass
    I checked out the page you gave me. The images are a bit tiny I cant make out any of the ports etc. So I can actually extend it back into the matrix. How would I achieve this?

That does indeed look like what I need.

Also I have not run shielded cable and everywhere I look it recommends this but HDbaseT states it can run on UTP cat6 fine.

Also everything in my house runs back to a patch panel so unless I plan on pulling more cables Im a bit stuck?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  6. clarkashford

clarkashford
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject matter. How many Ethernet points should I have by the tv. I planned on placing 4 to each point but with how cat6 isn't easy to put into a standard back box I either need a solution or run 2 cables instead.

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    For Smart TV functionality you just need one, and then a separate one for the HDMI distribution (idealy not through a faceplate but direct connection to the HDBaseT receiver)

I would run the other to a different point in the room for PC internet access etc.

8. clarkashford

clarkashford
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I have seen on smartTV functionality I don't think I will bother much with it. I have thought about running a cable through a brushplate just for the application of HDMI distribution so I think I will go with that as a solution
    This will all be in the living room so no need for a point for PC as I have an office already. When will TV manufacturers adapt to the HDbaseT technology and the 5play feature they keep banging on about?

Reason I asked is because the item you linked me to had two Ethernet ports on the receiver end so I was confused.

9. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    As you are running cables you might as well have them connected as streaming services will get better and better.

I wouldn't hold your breath for TV manufacturers integrating HDBaseT no sign of it that I have seen.

Not sure I linked you to one that had 2 Ethernet ports at the receiver end.

10. clarkashford

clarkashford
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no you didn't my mistake was something I browsed on the internet. With the two Ethernet ports what are they used for exactly do you know?

I would of thought HDbaseT was the future of tech with the ability to pass the 5 play feature around?

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Some HDBaseT matrixes/extenders do also carry an Ethernet signal so this would be for this.

We don't as only 100Mb not Gigabit and I would rather not have the matrix doing everything and easy enough to run a 2nd cable.

You would have thought so, but no !

12. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    It is easy enough to run a 2nd cable, or to have containment big enough, but wouldn't it be great if the second cable was just a spare, or if there was something to fail over to when one cable got snagged. Unless you're streaming HD video from a local server or NAS, 100 meg is adequate for pretty much every other application. Not to mention the need for extra switch ports and some devices being controlled (or controlled better) over IP.

13. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
  14. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    The Panasonics are professional displays not consumer TVS have you seen the prices!!

15. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Cost is always going to be the main driver, but in projectors and large TVs I can see it happening.

Dupe...

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello clarkashford

TV’s with HDBaseT – for now is mostly the preserve of TV’s/Projectors aimed at the ‘Hotel’ and Presentation market, having been to the recent ISE (Europe) and CEDIA (USA) Trade shows there was not much talk/evidence of embedded HDBaseT in ‘Consumer’ Displays, though a few ‘top of the range’ AVR’s were sporting HDBaseT Inputs.

Matrix – I can see our (Octava Inc.’s) range of Matrix including one or two HDBaseT Input ports in the near future so you can bring distributed Sources back to the Matrix over HDBaseT, currently this is achieved with a stand-alone HDBaseT Transmitter > Receiver then HDMI to the Matrix.

HDBaseT matrix with PoC – I believe the unit you were looking at has been discontinued.

PoC – can be trickier than the HDBaseT blurb would have you believe, our products use the PoC modules from Welsh company Silvertel, a bit higher cost than other solutions but more stable in our tests.

HDBaseT-lite (not 10/100 enabled) – our 4x8 CardFrame can be supplied as a 4x4 at £2.4K, with the option to add extra Zones as and when required. Some of the key ‘features’ are hidden behind the headlines – no blinking between Zones being a big one for Residential systems.
    http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HD44STPMX.htm

Sources – you will always find there are some Sources that lend themselves to ‘any Zone’ and others which are better used in a ‘dedicated Zone’.

Joe