hdanywhere vs atlona 4k hdbaset

klib

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am currently building a home and I am looking at using hdbaset to send video around the house.

I have been looking at products and come across the hdanywhere 4k mhub and the Atlona AT-UHD-PRO3-44M and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these products.

Really my requirements are:

4 video sources (roku, sky tv, nas, etc)
4 rooms with tv in each
4k (will be purchasing a 65 inch tv in the next couple of weeks)
At this stage sound bar for main TV so not sure if I run this from matrix (ARC) or from TV

Also, I am interested in hearing from people who are using hdbaset and 4k because I have read that the best you can do with hdbaset is 4:2:0 rather than the full 4:4:4 but I am not really sure of what the real world impact is of that - is there a noticeable difference?

I am looking at running Cat 6 to each of the tv's, for the most part I will have 2 runs to each location and in the lounge I am looking at running 4. This will be terminated via a patch panel in the garage to wall plates in the rooms.

I am really keen to hear peoples thoughts on hdbaset and 4k because I got a bit nervous the more reading I did on HDMI 2.0a needing 18gbps and that all the matrix's I saw couldnt acutally supply video at the full 4k spec, but as mentioned above this may not actually have any real world noticeable impact on the picture.

Thanks in advance

Hi @klib,

You only need a 4K matrix if you have a 4K set top box / video source. You also need all 4K TVs IF you want to watch the 4K video from that 4K source device in every room. If you have a mixed set up of say one 4K TV and the rest 1080p TVs, then if you try and watch the 4K set top box on all your TVs at the same time then you'll only be able to watch it in 1080p. Essentially, you have to set the set top box to output the lowest common denominator resolution that all the TVs in your home can accept-- so if you had only 1 4K TV and the rest 1080p then you'd need to set your sources to do 1080p or lower.

Does this make sense or is it a bit confusing? Are you planning on having all 4K TVs.

Dee

Hi there,

I am currently building a home and I am looking at using hdbaset to send video around the house.

I have been looking at products and come across the hdanywhere 4k mhub and the Atlona AT-UHD-PRO3-44M and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these products.

Really my requirements are:

4 video sources (roku, sky tv, nas, etc)
4 rooms with tv in each
4k (will be purchasing a 65 inch tv in the next couple of weeks)
At this stage sound bar for main TV so not sure if I run this from matrix (ARC) or from TV

Also, I am interested in hearing from people who are using hdbaset and 4k because I have read that the best you can do with hdbaset is 4:2:0 rather than the full 4:4:4 but I am not really sure of what the real world impact is of that - is there a noticeable difference?

I am looking at running Cat 6 to each of the tv's, for the most part I will have 2 runs to each location and in the lounge I am looking at running 4. This will be terminated via a patch panel in the garage to wall plates in the rooms.

I am really keen to hear peoples thoughts on hdbaset and 4k because I got a bit nervous the more reading I did on HDMI 2.0a needing 18gbps and that all the matrix's I saw couldnt acutally supply video at the full 4k spec, but as mentioned above this may not actually have any real world noticeable impact on the picture.

Thanks in advance

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom