HDAnywhere old vs new?!?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by timberwolf, Feb 28, 2014.

1. timberwolf

timberwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Looking at the new MOD44 units from HDAnywhere, other than the webOS and the modular feature I really dont see the benefits over the old silver units, they the old ones were Full HDBaseT.

Am I missing something?!!?!?

2. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hmmm interesting question that. They got fairly battered over the build of the older units, but I didn't think they were too bad. Indeed they we're full fat HDbaseT but the new modular stuff is certainly in a higher price range.

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    It depends on what you need it to do. For example there are HDBT input cards to allow sources to be remote from the matrix, as well as a mix of output cards too. It also means you can mix and match the number of inputs and outputs, which is useful if you don't need the full capacity.

Build quality is in a different league, both for the matrix and other components too.

At the end of the day the picture and audio quality should be identical so it's these secondary features which mark the differences.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    How did you get on with the CYP you were having a look at ?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Unless you are limited to a single CAT cable it is best to go with at least two CAT cables and use one for the HD distribution and the other for IP (up to and including Gigabit - which you can't do with HDBaseT).

The majority of folk were not using the IP capabilities of HDBaseT - hence the popularity of the 'Lite' option.

Joe

6. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I take it from this thread that the HDAnywhere 4x4 HDBaseT units are no longer around?

7. timberwolf

timberwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Andye,

There are still a few knocking around but are discontinued and being replaced by the MOD44 units.

AClass,

Funny enough, and it ain't so funny, I got cold feet in the end as I was concerned about future proofing as at some point I am going to have to go from 4x4 to 4x8, so have started looking at HDoverIP from JAP.

The pros and cons seem to work out ok as the compression would suffice in bedrooms etc, and would pipe HDMI direct to the main room.

Have got some stuff coming from iRule to see how their IR/RS232 systems work as JAP does not handle IR/control which sucks.

I am a world of indecision.

The only thing that is putting me off is the setup time investment. I have all the other gear (POE injector, managed gigabit hub).

Joe,

Your right, when I looked it I don't need the data, as I have 2 cat6 runs to each point, all are under 60m, and can't see myself with a 2k4k TV in anywhere but the lounge and even then not in the next 5-8years, so full HDBaseT didn't seem that relevant. The only thing I would have wanted was POE

Regards
    K

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello timberwolf

‘I am going to have to go from 4x4 to 4x8’ – you are the perfect client for our Octava Cardframe Matrix (with HDBaseT-lite Output cards) :) You can start out with a 4x4 (approx.. £2.4k) and add additional Output Cards (and Zone Receivers) as and when required up to a maximum of 8 extended Zones (approx. £300 per Zone).

HD over IP – it definitely has a ‘look’ to it, if sport is your thing ensure you are happy with how it processes 50Hz content. Oddly enough we (not me) are onsite in Aberdeen today assisting one of our AV Installer clients with our HD over IP solution on a 4x16 system, we are assisting with integrating a bunch of SKY+ HD box’s into our ‘standard’ iRule control panel using GC IP2IR devices.

Joe

9. timberwolf

timberwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi joe,

I did look at your unit as it seems a perfect fit and looks tidy too, however the only review / customer experience i could find resulted in the unit being returned so was a little dissuaded

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hello timberwolf

Please be assured we supplied many hundreds of our now discontinued Dual CAT 4x8, 4x4 and 4x2 units and went through at least two pretty major revisions to the 4x4 unit since the 2011 ‘review’.

The HD4xSTPMX is a completely different beast and other than carrying over some of the feature set of our previous models (Routed IR, Broadcast IR, EDID Management, Simple Zone Control, PoC etc.) they are a completely new design (which now includes no-blinking between Zones).

Drop me a note if you would like some information.

Joe

11. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Oh well, guess I'm going to have to look around again. The MOD44 is just a bit too expensive for me, especially as HDBaseT2 is on the way. No idea how long it will be before we see anything tho'.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    ‘HDBaseT2 is on the way. No idea how long it will be before we see anything tho’ – constantly chasing these ever changing standards is a nightmare and in reality unless you were starting afresh with all new kit which all supported the ‘New’ features that HDBaseT 2.0 offers you are not going to gain anything.

Add in HDMI 2.0 and whatever the ‘Ultra HD’ consortium come up with and we will all need to sit on our hands for a few more years if you want to cover all of the bases :)

Joe

13. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    All very true Joe, anything to do with AV / PCs etc is always going to be the same. It's a choice between trying to future proof and possibly over-spending now and finding things have moved on and having to start again, against getting exactly what you need now and only spending enough to cover it, without worrying too much about what is going to happen down the line.

I've been sitting on my hands ( :) ) for the last year while my house was being built and now I'm pretty much ready to buy but I'm looking at the second option, e.g. go with what I need now and worry about HDBaseT2 later and for this reason I don't want to over spend.

Also the fact my house is well over budget makes it difficult to get any big spend past the Mrs :)

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    ‘Also the fact my house is well over budget makes it difficult to get any big spend past the Mrs´- I thought that was a given with any AV/Home Entertainment system :D

I don’t see you overspending now as ‘affordable’ HDBaseT with a real world feature set is here now and will be more than sufficient in its current specification for all but a very few customers (as before we see HDBaseT-lite as meeting the needs of the vast majority of customers).

We spend a fair bit of time adding new ‘features’ to existing customers houses where they are using all manner of ‘legacy’ gear that can be 10+ years old – it is very rare for a complete system to suddenly become ‘redundant’.

Joe

15. timberwolf

timberwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    All sounds very familiar Andye. I have been looking at this for around a year now, even seen a couple of friends have installs done, one of which was HDoverIP.

It seems that ever since the main-streaming of HDTV and flatscreen the whole thing seems to be picking up pace with ever new standards, features and technologies that it is impossible to keep up or truly future proof anything. I think that is a strong reason why quite a few suppliers are now going modular which makes sense, but even then its no guarantee.

End of the day, I really cannot see myself having anything like 2k4k in anything but the living room, and even then not in the next 10years+. And even then, I would just end up driving it directly from a DVR/Sky box directly anyhow so this would still not be an issue.

I think like buying a PC, there is always going to be the latest and greatest thing just around the corner, if you waited you would never buy anything. Best just to identify what features you must have, would like, and don't need, then balance out whats available vs price and then jump in :thumbsup:.

you can bet on that as soon as HDMI2.0 comes out, HDMI 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 will be not far behind addressing gaps and issues. From my view, much better to stick with the well established 1.3/1.4... but then thats just me, I am sure there are arguments to be had against.

If you are as far over budget as I am, then HDBaseT2 is certainly a luxury :confused:. I was toying with HDoverIP from Justaddpower, as this seems to offer the best future proofing, but the install time is now putting me off, although I am really keen on iRule, its seems like a great product.

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    ‘I am really keen on iRule, its seems like a great product’ – like all these software products it has a learning curve to be gone through before you get to grips with its foibles.

My brother keeps muttering ‘Crestron’ under his breath every time I mention/ask him to configure iRule :)

Joe

17. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Timberwolf

We also supply a HDMIOverIp system, HDJuiceBox Ethernet. HDJuiceBox - HDTV over Ethernet : JUST HDMI

Going back to the HdBaseT matrix, We now have three options

HDBaseT 4x4 1080p - POC, IR Routing, Firmware Upgradable, Fast Switching
    HDBaseT 4x4 4K(UltraHD) - POC, IR Routing, Firmware Upgradable, Fast Switching
    HDBaseT 8x8 4K(UltraHD) - POC, IR Routing, Firmware Upgradable, Fast Switching

The 4x4's have a mirrored HDMI output so could be seen as 4x8's for upgrade purposes, or as some people have done is buy a 2nd 4x4 Matrix and use 4 x 2 Way splitters from the sources to make a 4x8 Matrix. Not the most elegant but not seen that many problems and keeps the upgrade cost down..

18. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I might have to have another look at HDoverIP.

Timberwolf, are you still offering a 25% discount for reference site installs? Would you consider a ref site in Oz :)

19. timberwolf

timberwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you threw in lodge and the the plane tickets, first class, I might...:lease:

The thing with HDoverIP is the setup time of two systems, one for the image/audio, and the other for the control. Then you need a Managed Switch (gigabit), maybe a POE injector, cat6 cabling...etc...etc.. I am lucky that I just happen to have most of this already, and truth be told, except for the CAt6 wiring, most of this can be had relatively cheap if you go on ebay and don't mind 2nd hand gear.

But I don't think I have the time to bother with it all now. And it would end up more expensive. But I cant help but think that I could get to use my Rasberry Pi in it all somewhere too (something I got for xmas that is just gathering dust) which is tempting.

20. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Haha! Maybe if the house wasn't so over budget! TBH, as part of the build we had minimum of two CAT6 runs to every room in the house and and ran another two runs to each location that will have a TV. I've just ordered a ProCurve 1810 managed switch so the network is pretty much taken care of - would just need the POE injector.

I'm sure I'll just order a HDBaseT 4x4 Lite. In a perfect world I could get the matrix and POC powered receivers delivered to Oz, or bought locally within budget. I know your professional version ticks all the boxes but it is beyond my budget for the moment. I guess I face the choice of holding off or going with a Lite version and trying to find a way of powering the receivers at the TVs.

Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of your receivers?

21. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Our HD Over IP solution carries IR as well, and very simple to setup if you have a network already in place, though wouldnt be POE compatible. Dont need a managed switch just a Gigabit one, ideally separate if over 4 receivers.

Andye not sure you are asking me or someone else about the matrix sizes

Receiver dimensions
    (W x H x D): 104mm x 73mm x 27mm , without feet

5% off for AVforum members !!

22. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks AClass, may well be in touch soon.

23. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
  24. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    I'll speak with Orville - I'm sure he's had a few, I'll buzz you in a bit.

Joe

26. DaveHudson

DaveHudson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The old HDanywhere 4x4 HDBaseT is still being sold but under another name and comes only in black colour. Has still the same price, exactly same features and design.
    As I know they are selling even the HDanywhere 8x8 HDBaseT Matrix as well.

Search the web for "4K Fidelity Multiroom+ 4x4 HDBaseT Matrix".