HD72i or HS50 ????????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gromit4x4, Mar 14, 2006.

1. gromit4x4

gromit4x4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi to all,

I could really use the informed opinion of others, I have been looking for some time at getting a PJ, I set my sights on an HD72i, I love the dlp pj's, I'm one of the lucky ones as I dont see any rainbows.

I was all set to get it when the wife said that she had seen an HS50 at the local independant AV store, We went and had a look, I liked it as it is 1280x720 and the contrast ratio is very high, the 3 lcd panels work well I thought, the wife likes the price £300 cheaper than the optoma and she also likes the lens shift feature.

Im not so keen however on the lcd stuff because of the screen door and the yellowing of the image that can occur with extended use, the wife dosent like the optoma as it is a little noisey compared to the sony and lacks the lens shift. The only thing that we can agree on is that the optoma is physically a bit smaller.

Its been a week or so now.....

I still want the HD72, she still won't budge.

So its over to you guy's, we tried to flip a coin - best of three, when she lost she said best of five.......
    I've explained that you are all experts in the field and that your opinions are not to be discounted, can you sort it out for us? :lease:

2. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you're lucky enough to have a wife who actually wants a projector in the house at all, I'd go with whatever she wants :thumbsup:
    At least that way it was always her choice :smashin:

BTW - I used to have a HS10 which was quite noisey. In the end it didn't matter that the pic was great, the noise runined it for me as it was mounted straight over my head.

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332

Okay, try this. HS50 due to it's auto iris function often gives a dimly lit picture, which especially when the lamp ages a bit, decreasing it's brightness, means you may end up with quite a murky image after 500 hours of use or so. Additionally, if you ever wanted to sell it on, the HS50 has been superceded by the HS60 already, & the H72i is new to Optoma's range. Therefore HS50 is going to depreciate in value much quicker, like quite a lot compared to the H72i.

The above isn't necessarily completely true, so HS50 owners don't slate me :) . However, it contains elements of truth ;) .

4. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    The hs50 is a really nice projector its one of the few LCDs I have seen running and was pretty impressed, I know the optoma is the forums favorite at the moe but this is the case with the release of most new PJ (Hitachi TX200 Sanyo Z4 Panny 900 Panny 700 ect ect ect ) the prob is they are all good in there own right but its what appeals to you,

Try and get a demo of the 2 and you decide what floats your boat.
    also Have a look at this model
    http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/shop/default.asp?pid=611

Its my choice at present

Cheers Darko

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    The Optoma is basically the same price as the Sony if you take a way the free Screen and celing mount that many retailers are doing. They may even do a different offer, or reduce the price if need be.

In use I don't find the HD72 noisy at all - certainly compared to my previous Panny AE100. When you've got the sound whacked up to any level it's not an issue.

Dust and screen yellowing were big issues for me on the AE100 (although it did have 5000 hours on it ;) )

I tested the HS60 at the same time as the Optoma and found little difference in the overall pic quality between the two. Some have suggested that the HS60 is not that much better than the HS50, so that being the case I wouldn't be too disappointed if I had to go for the Sony. It is still a classy machine.

Alternatively just go out and buy it and wait to get an ear bashing when you get home. As has already been said... at least your other half is as interested in HC as you are.

Compared to some memebers on this forum I would say you have a result there :smashin:

6. gromit4x4

gromit4x4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris, you are probably right it's a result that she is into HC thing, I dont need the screen so you have a good point there, Is your HD72 ceiling mounted?

Darko, I have not had the pleasure of seeing both pj's together I wish I could, I had heard a lot of good about the Hitachi, maybe I will have a closer look and end up getting even more caught up over which to get.

7. DaveHT

DaveHT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I haven't seen the HD72i, but I have the HS60 and had the HS50 (there was a scratch in the HS50, and I was offered the oportunity to exchange it with the new model for a symbolic price, just 18 euros). I liked the HS50's picture, but I prefer the HS60, as the contrast is better and so are the blacks. The most noticeable difference is in shadow detail (dark parts of a scene), where the HS60 is clearly better. Plus, I notice less screendoor on the HS60 than on the HS50.

Having said that, I generaly prefer a DLP image to LCD because of many factors: panel alignment (on single chip DLP it's not an issue) and vertical banding (the HSxx units have little VB, but it is there, nevertheless) sometimes are a lottery in LCD (my HS50 had misaligned panels, but fortunately my HS60 is ok), and DLPs have higher real panel contrast and less SDE.

If you're not sensible to the two main issues with DLP (rainbows and posterizing), I'd advise you to go with a DLP unit. Myself, I'm really sensible to rainbows and I don't like the posterizing effect either, so for me DLP is not an option (3-chip DLP would be an option if it weren't for the price...).

Personally, I'm very happy and still impressed with my HS60's picture quality, so the bottom line is: you probably won't go wrong either way, as all these units are great performers.

Dave.

8. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    yup that is the joy of shopping for a new projector and I am in the same boat bud so I know how you feel.

Darko

9. gromit4x4

gromit4x4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dave,
    thanks for your input, I'm affraid the 3 chip dlp is beyond our budget, I just had a thought, the wife has not had a demo of the optoma so I'm not sure if she is sensitive to rainbows. if she is then I guess the decision will be made.

Darko,
    What did you narrow your selection down to in the end? did anything other than the Hitachi make it to the shortlist?

10. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Well I keep coming back to the hitachi and like yourself the Sony HS50 I will probably end up going for the Hitachi as the tx100 has stood the test of time well so I would imagine the tx200 will do the same.
    Darko

11. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    First I would suggest you swap the Sony HS50 to the new model Sony HS60. Available for £1500 if you shop around

If you plan to watch in blackout conditions then keep the HS60 on your list. If not go for the Optoma.

I have the HS60 myself and it is capable of producing a really nice image. Blacks are very impressive. I was worried about the Auto iris and its effect during it operation, however i think that Sony have got the timing just right.There is however a shading issue when using the auto iris function but it is not an issue when watching a films etc.

At the end of the day you will not go wrong with either.

Foghorn

12. kdog

kdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi, I haven't viewed the HS50 but have viewed the HD72i. Superb!! I'm currently running a Panny PT-AE300 and was going to upgrade to the PT-AE900 model but after seeing the HD72i my choice has been made. The colours, black levels and contrast were great, HD72i all the way:clap:

13. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    As a fellow HS60 owner DaveHT comments are spot on.

If your eyes are okay with the H72 I'd go for that over the HS50/60 any day.

Not seen a H72 but if is as good as a HC3000, which it should be (if not better), then go for it. :D

14. Ptenisnet

Ptenisnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi gromit4x4,

Have you measured your room size, screen size etc & decide on the placement of the PJ? These factors might also influence which PJ you'll buy eventually. IIRC the HD72i is slightly less flexible with placement.

15. anibap

anibap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    There is one simple solution.

Go for a demo of both. most dealers have both models. use same material fior demo. watch for rainbows(if you don't see i see a dlp coming to your home). believe your own eyes and buy the one you prefer.

REmemebr one thing all products sell and the human nature of variable selection always overrides what experts or other people say.

at the end of the day it will be you and your wife and family who would be watching so a demo is must. Happy shopping:hiya:

cheers

16. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    I have mine literally an inch off the floor. The screen is actually very low down compared to many people on the forum - It's sited in a wide doorway that leads out to the conservatory so the top of the screen is only at about 7' off the ground.

17. gromit4x4

gromit4x4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guy's for all your help and suggestions, I feel more at ease now knowing that the sony is regarded as it is, It seems difficult to find a retailer in a reasonable distance that has both to demo side by side, the deal at the moment is we will demo the optoma together and if she sees any rainbows then the sony wins..... if not then it's the optoma, fingers crossed. I'll let you know how we get on.