HD72i missing DCDi menu!

K

Kadders

Now this is probably my fault :) but I just noticed that my HD72i does not display the DCDi menu (page 26 of manual). I can understand it not needing that menu if I am feeding a progressive signal, but it is unavailable even with interlaced signals. Any ideas?

recruit said:
How and what connections are you feeding it ?
Component mainly, but I have tried to force the menu to come on with other inputs - I even tried composite.

Despite the pj reporting that it had found 576i input, I still don't see the DCDi menu. Is it in the same place as the manual suggests (Image/Advanced), or have they moved it? I must confess that I have not hunted for it!

I only use a HDMI feed to my HD72i and all scaleing is done by either my Denon or HD-DVD so i do not see the DCDI menu either and thought that maybe that is how it is when fed like that so Sorry i thought that may be the reason :( I would also be interested now to know why that particular menu does not show :)

Yes it is odd. I do normally feed progressive, so as I said in the first post I did not really expect to see DCDi menu. But I just noticed that interlaced inputs also have the missing menu. Maybe I'll call Optoma on Monday.

Kadders said:
Yes it is odd. I do normally feed progressive, so as I said in the first post I did not really expect to see DCDi menu. But I just noticed that interlaced inputs also have the missing menu. Maybe I'll call Optoma on Monday.

Let us know Kadders :thumbsup:

Just spoke to Optoma tech support - the DCDi menu only appears if you feed composite or s-video signals to the pj. Shame the manual doesn't mention that!

Kadders said:
Just spoke to Optoma tech support - the DCDi menu only appears if you feed composite or s-video signals to the pj. Shame the manual doesn't mention that!

Thanks Kadders :thumbsup: good to know !

Kadders said:

actually thats not strictly true !

I feed mine an interlaced RGB 576i signal from scart (sky+) into DVI-A on the HD72i and I get DCDI enabled. Makes a hell of a difference to the PQ !
Im also pretty sure I've had it over component from a dvd player also

I've just ordered HD72i and a Pioneer DV-696 which I plan to feed 576i signal via HDMI to the Optoma because I believe the scaling and deinterlacing is better on the HD72i than the Pioneer, and the DV696 lets you select 480i/576i.
Even if I won't get the DCDi menu on my projector, the Faroudja is still handling all the deinterlacing and scaling, am I correct? I just won't be able to adjust the settings?
This is my first projector and I'm still a bit lost as what comes to all the setup options, but learning fast ;)

mot67 said:
I've just ordered HD72i and a Pioneer DV-696 which I plan to feed 576i signal via HDMI to the Optoma because I believe the scaling and deinterlacing is better on the HD72i than the Pioneer.
Even if I won't get the DCDi menu on my projector, the Faroudja is still handling all the deinterlacing and scaling, am I correct? I just won't be able to adjust the settings?
This is my first projector and I'm still a bit lost as what comes to all the setup options, but learning fast ;)
Yes, that is correct - according to tech support, DCDi is still active with interlaced signals on any port. But the menu allows you to fiddle with a few settings, which apparently are not relevant to some of the ports. I'm not totally convinced though - I'd like the opportunity to at least see the options with component+interlaced. The pj correctly reports that I am sending 576i (say), but no menu to be found.

As others have seen the menu with component, maybe they are at a different firmware level?

Update:
After some discussion with Optoma tech support (they are very good), and me never getting the DCDi menu no matter what signal I used, they sent me an RMA number and got the pj picked up. I got it back less than a week later, and now I do have the DCDi menu! The menu is there for any input, IF that input is sending an interlaced signal. In fact, just what I expected. :)

When they telephoned to say that it was being shipped back and would arrive the next morning, they explained that it had a faulty chip, which had been replaced. Must have had a firmware upgrade too, because it now displays "ThemeScene" on start up (used to say "Optoma").

Damn, so the chip in my projector might be faulty too :C
I get no DCDi menu, I use s-video and HDMI currently, I believe the menu should be there for s-video at least.

I also get some rather disturbing combing that seems to only appear with some TV shows via digital cable TV through s-video (re-runs of Buffy seems to be the worse).

Similar combing is also visible in dvd subtitles when I feed the projector 576i signal through HDMI. The subtitles "comb" for a second as they "fade away". If I switch the DVD player to progressive, the combing dissapears.
Otherwise the DVD image is very good, much better with the projector handling the deinterlacing and scaling than if I let the Pioneer DV696 output 576p or 720p.

With "combing" I mean what is described here (scroll near the bottom, or search for "combing")
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

The strange thing is that Optoma initially gave me conflicting advice - like not to expect DCDi with component input. In fact (now that it's working!) the DCDi menu will appear whenever the projector is reporting an interlaced signal (576i or whatever). I have not seen any combing artifacts, but I do agree with you that the pj de-interlaces better than my DVD player. That did not used to be the case, which is why I suspected DCDi was not working at all (not just missing from the menus).

As the firmware on mine has also changed, that may be all yours needs (sounds like your deinterlacing is working fine). Does your show the Optoma logo when it's powering up, or ThemeScene - which mine shows now.

Mine shows the Optoma logo. The machine is of a week 27 year 2006 batch (from serial number, remove the first four digits, the next three or four show the manufacturing week and year, so I've read).

Indeed, the deinterlacing and scaling must be working even though there is no menu, otherwise my DVD's and TV would look truly bad. Most of the TV shows look great.
Somewhere (I think it was in that link I posted above) I read that some of the Buffy DVD's lack the "flag" that tells the processing to switch to video mode, maybe the same error is carried on to the TV broadcasts and that's why my Optoma can't properly deinterlace with that particular show.

Haven't tried other inputs but s-video and HDMI, I should receive my component-scart cable soon, but I doubt it'll show with it either.

Now it seems that it's not working as wellas it could with video that is fed via s-video cable, as my PS2 that is also being ran with s-video through my AV receiver shows similar combing, but only on some games. For example Dragon Quest VIII shows combing, but GT4 looks fine (actually GT4 looks almost semi-high resolution with much reduced jaggies and texture flickering!)

mot67 said:
Mine shows the Optoma logo. The machine is of a week 27 year 2006 batch (from serial number, remove the first four digits, the next three or four show the manufacturing week and year, so I've read).
Sounds like mine's from the same batch (if the logic is correct). The serial number starts ... T83F627

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom