HD72i and low ceilings

talcy

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experiance ceiling mounting this on low ceilings, just about ready to order and stumble across reviews about low ceiling height and problems due to lack of lens shift.

my room dimensions are

floor to ceiling- 7ft 6in
width wall to wall- 11ft
back wall to screen position- 13ft 6in
seating position to screen- 11ft 6in
screen of choice 7ft but im flexable

So basically is this possible in my space, any advice would be greatly appreciated as im still new to projectors but learning fast, thanks to this forum.

Cheers in advance

The HD72 drops about 1.5" for every foot away from the screen, therefore at 10ft back the top of the image will be 15" below the height of the projector, this is quite a large offset for a projector and one of the reasons why I won't be buying it.
Dave

My basement ceilings are only 6'6" and the screen is mounted pretty flush to the top. I figured that I would have to mount the PJ the best part of 45cm from the ceiling which was unacceptable given the fan noise would be right above the seating. Yes, lack of lens shift a real problem with this PJ. A real shame.

Cheers for reply's would you have any alternative's projector suggestions i coulld get away with with my ceiling heights, this is all getting frustrating as i was set on the hd72. and i got cash burning in my pocket.
Cheers again
talcy

talcy said:
Cheers for reply's would you have any alternative's projector suggestions i coulld get away with with my ceiling heights, this is all getting frustrating as i was set on the hd72. and i got cash burning in my pocket.
Cheers again
talcy

The HS60 is going for a bargin price at empire direct if it helps, I'm in the process of trying to chocie between the two here with not much joy, so looking on the up side, at least you have one less choice to make! ;)

cheers lizard, these ceiling heights are becoming a real headache, do you know if the hs60 will be ok for my ceiling heights

talcy said:
cheers lizard, these ceiling heights are becoming a real headache, do you know if the hs60 will be ok for my ceiling heights

It should be as i'm sure its got lens shift, (but dont quote me on that.) I've got a high celling 11' so i havent really look into it. Short room instead!

I am thinking of going for a Sanyo Z4, it got a very good review at projector central, compared favourably to the H79 and is very easy to set up vertical and horizontal lens shift
Dave

Cheers avdavid, been reading up on alternative's all morning, the z4 is a nice looking unit, really wanted a DLP but my ceiling height is a real problem. spoke to optoma direct this morning, regarding the hd72i and my situation, and they said that the ceiling height shouldn't be a problem as the use of keystone can be used with minimal picture loss as keystoning has come a long was in the last couple of years, as im new to the projector scene im still none the wiser.
Cheers

Hi Talcy

i've got my hd72i ceilng mounted at a ceiling height of only 78in, the pj is 10cm lower, hanging off the ceiling mount. The 92in diag screen is 11ft 9in away with the top of screen approx. 1ft drop from ceiling. Seating position is directly below at 12ft away. The image is awesome (it's my first pj) and i use dvd going hdmi out to hdmi in on the pj, or i use sky+ scart rgb/vga converter going into the dvi-a port on the pj....could not fault it. Only one connection at a time. Fan noise cannot be heard unless in a really quiet scene, and neither I not the family have complained. At these measurements the hd72i fills the 92in screen and I use the vertical keystone correction set to -2 (ie. the picture is about 1cm too wide at the top and this straightens the sides to be parallel) so that it fits perfectly. Using the keystone makes no visible difference to the image quality. My room is decorated in light colours and I use the Hoya ND2 58mm filter, which reduces brightness and helps present a real cinema like picture.

I auditioned the Z4, HS50 in Dec05, and I went back at the begining of March06 to audition the HS60 and the HD72i. IMHO, DLP is definitely the way to go. So it either has to be the IN76 or the HD72i and if you do your homework it would appear that Optoma offer the best post-sale support. I bought via DiscountTV who offer a 3yr warranty.

You may have heard of some hd72i users having problems with the memory re-setting and dropping all saved settings, 'touch wood' this hasn't hit me yet and I'm at 20 hours on the clock!

Hope this helps,

cheers,
Carl

Carl, your room sounds just like mine and im glad to hear you managed to pull it off.Id just about given up on finding an alternative and was going to bite the bullet and order 1 anyway and see if i could make it work, feel alot more confident knowing it has been done, and the deal you had is the one i was looking at thru discount-tv.
Cheers mate for your input
Talcy

Have been lurking and following this thread quite closely...looking for my first pj. Read great reviews for Z4 PJtx200 Ae900 TW600 but despite initial enthusiasm as I read more found that none were without problems eg. vertical banding, noise levels, service probs etc.

Feel it's time for my first post.

Price wise HD72i is about £200 more than the others mentioned(considering offers with screen and ceiling mount which i need but has 3yr warranty) and reset problem aside I was set on the HD72. However my plans were scuppered because my room also has 7.5ft ceiling (although it is big 10m X6.5m) and I dont want my screen that low down.

So moving to HS60 which is approx £400 more than the others I was begining to question whether it was worth extra cost, but after reading latest post looks like I may be OK with the HD 72?

I want to watch DVD movies and SkY + on an occasional basis as this is an occasional room for high days and holidays. It can be blacked out and, because it's so big, I intend to only use part of the room to try and inprove accoustics for sound processing (SWMBO doesn't like big speakers) and to sit at reasonable distance from screen.

Dont want to hijack thread but will I be OK with HD72 .........or is HS60 worth £400 more than others.

If not which is best in the 1K ish category.

Thanx for your help guys

I've got my HD72 with the lens lined up with the bottom of the screen pretty much, so the pj is angled at about 7 degrees. I notice absolutely no trapeziod shape at all. I worked it out and for a 11 foot throw you'll get an image which is about a 1/2 inch smaller at the top. So I didn't worry about it.

Cheers,
Matt

I ceiling mounted my HD72i on Saturday - its placed about 11 feet back from a 6ft Beamax fixed screen, with an approx 9 foot ceiling height. It replaced a Screenplay 4805 which had the lens on the opposite side of the projector so I was worried that I would have to move the ceiling mount, especially in light of previous threads, or the screen.

But it went up a treat and I had to move neither :smashin: The use of both horizontal and vertical keystone correction, as previously mentioned, was brilliant and as far as I can see had no impact on image quality at all (I'm at -2 and -1 respectively), plus the use of horizontal and vertical image shift has finally enabled me to fill the screen totally and squarely, something I could never quite get with the 4805. Although I have to admit that I an unsure as to how this works - is it some form of lens shift? I thought that DLP pj's didn't have this function?

The flexibility of this unit is superb and I for one am a happy bunny :smashin:

Mark

Cheers talky.

The calculations seen ok and looks like it will be doable for me ....so HD72 it is then!

you wont regret it, the picture is excellent !!:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom