HD70, PTAX100E or Z5??

(GTV)Chris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my PTAE500, which is great little projector.
I want a bit more contrast so I have singled out the above for a possible upgrade.
I cannot afford to go full HD yet so my budget needs to be approx £800 to £1000.
I do suffer from the rainbow effect on DLP projectors but I beieve this isn't an issue on the HD70????
I want the most cinematic pictures as possible.
The AE500 was quite dim for the lumens and while i don't want to be wearing sun glasses throughout a movie, I would like a bit more brightness.
The HD70 looks extremely good on paper and is really reasonable priced.
But i am apanasonic fan...so i don't know,,,,
The contrast ratio always baffles me. The 6000:1 of the panny sounds great the HD70 states 4000:1 which is less but i believe the blacks ar darker??
Any help would be great.

Chris

Hi Chris

I would say that if you suffer from the rainbows but wish to receive a cinematic image, the Hitachi PJTX300 is about the nearest LCD to perform like a DLP projector. It offers a good level of black detail with a high contrast. You get realistic skin tones and the PJTX300 also offers a level of detail without being to sharp or to soft and spoiling the image.

Regards. Shane.

I wonder if the HD70 or 73 suffer from rainbows?
I haven't seen a DLP for some time now so things may have changed. I know this has more segments in the colour wheel, so may help.
C

I got the AX-100 two weeks ago and I'm really happy with it. (well it's my first real pj so obviously I'm thrilled)

The reason I didn't look for any DLP's is that I really suffer from the rainbows and didn't want to risk it - and I also found out the HD70 doesn't offer any lens shift so it was impossible for my living room anyway.

The Z5 was an option but I went for the AX100 as I can't get my room completely dark and it is supposed to be the better choice with ambient light.
Check this: http://www.projectorcentral.com/ax100u_plv-z5.htm

(I don't know about pj prices in the UK but I ordered it from Germany to Finland and got it for 995 euros = 680 pounds, delivered via UPS in 10 days. Do a search at www.idealo.de and see the options. The package included a UK power cable.)

Looking to upgrade my PTAE500, which is great little projector.
I want a bit more contrast so I have singled out the above for a possible upgrade.
I cannot afford to go full HD yet so my budget needs to be approx £800 to £1000.
I do suffer from the rainbow effect on DLP projectors but I beieve this isn't an issue on the HD70????
I want the most cinematic pictures as possible.
The AE500 was quite dim for the lumens and while i don't want to be wearing sun glasses throughout a movie, I would like a bit more brightness.
The HD70 looks extremely good on paper and is really reasonable priced.
But i am apanasonic fan...so i don't know,,,,
The contrast ratio always baffles me. The 6000:1 of the panny sounds great the HD70 states 4000:1 which is less but i believe the blacks ar darker??
Any help would be great.

Chris

LOL you didnt even mention the Z5 apart from your title, I guess that rules it out :D

Seriously I just picked up my Z5 a few days ago for around £680 and I am soooo pleased with it, the sharpness is incredieble when you consider its pricepoint.

I'm also fortunate in that I have a room dedicated to viewing stuff on the PJ - hence I have a room that is totally light controlled, so lumens is of no concern.

If this was clearly a choice based on budget, I'd have to say the Z5 not because I have one lol, but because it just offered so many things for the price.

Since you like Panasonic, you might as well go for that, stick to what you like :)

:thumbsup:

How dark does your room need to be to warrant the Z5 over the Panny?

Curtains drawn with maybe a lamp or 2 on?
Curtains drawn no light on?
Cinema dark?
Pitch black?

I've not realy found anywhere that actually defines what a dark room is.

How dark does your room need to be to warrant the Z5 over the Panny?

Curtains drawn with maybe a lamp or 2 on?
Curtains drawn no light on?
Cinema dark?
Pitch black?

I've not realy found anywhere that actually defines what a dark room is.

Sorry but even I can't give you that answer right now, I only view it in the dark, I just find it soo pointless viewing projectors with any source of light - okay dim lights are fine with any PJ, but anything brighter and the picture will be affected even with top end lumens.

The Sanyo (as the reviews and specs say) does have the lowest output in lumens ... my older optoma projector had 2200 lumens (50% more than the Z5) , again in a ligh controlled room, but the Z5 just looks plain awesome - I love the way the bright 'white' scenes dont 'burn' my eyes but look sooo white (if that makes sense lol)

I think with dimmers it should be fine - that way you can really control the light as accuratley as possible. :)

Curtains drawn no light on? - thats the most accurate because its how i like to view it

Hi,

I certainly haven't ruled out the Z5. It has great reviews and i don't think there is much in it betweem the Panny and the Sanny.
I loved the look of the last DLP pictures but did suffer from the rainbows.
I have a reasonably light controlled room.
I have white velcro on the inside of the window frames that can't really be seen. I then stick up ready cut blackout material to the frames and draw the curtains.
It is near dark but still lets in a little ambient light.
I guess I just want a huge leap in picture from my AE500 :)

Chris

Hi,

I certainly haven't ruled out the Z5. It has great reviews and i don't think there is much in it betweem the Panny and the Sanny.
I loved the look of the last DLP pictures but did suffer from the rainbows.
I have a reasonably light controlled room.
I have white velcro on the inside of the window frames that can't really be seen. I then stick up ready cut blackout material to the frames and draw the curtains.
It is near dark but still lets in a little ambient light.
I guess I just want a huge leap in picture from my AE500 :)

Chris

thats good to hear :smashin:

When I comparing both Z5 and the panny, the main thing I found was the difference in lumens - they are both very close peforming projectors - but the price of the Sanyo really swayed me along with the 3 year gurantee.

Im not going to be biased towards the Sanyo - the panny is a really decent PJ, very respectable, its a tough call - maybe go to a AV store and get them to setup the Z5/panny?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom