Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to get my first projector:

1) Must be 720p (an HD20 would be nice but money is tight
2) I'm not fussed about 3D as my lazy eye messes it up lol
3) Will 90% be for watching films via HDMI from my Acer Revo 3610
4) I have about 11-12ft viewing distance
5) Will only be watching in darkness / night time
6) Initially will be firing onto a plain magnolia wall, screen possibly in due course

So I am torn between the HD65 and the HD600x. Obviosuly I would prefer the newest possible model but have yet to see any decent reviews / feedback on the 600x and the 65 has such a well established user base and reputation which is hard to ignore. Feature wise they are same luminence although the 65 has a slightly better contrast ratio which again makes it more appealing although its slightly more £.

Ultimately what will give the best picture for my needs? Good detail, punchy colours and good blacks are favourable to me :)

The HD65 is a very respected model and similar to the hd700x (which i own) there is a mini review of the 600x on projector point in which they say it an improvement over the 700x so mmm

Our review on the Optoma HD600X Projector
The Optoma HD600X is the replacement model for the hugely popular HD700X.

Out of the box 2 things are immediately apparent. Firstly there is a soft carry case supplied (unlike the HD700X) and there has been a change of chassis (slightly larger than the HD700X but both projectors have a chassis footprint smaller than an A4 piece of paper). Connections wise, the HD600X no longer has a dedicated Component Video input but a VGA to component adaptor is supplied.

We put the HD600X and HD700X side by side (see slideshow) and ran a simultaneous comparison using the bluray Casio Royale dvd to see if the HD600X has more to offer than just increased brightness (HD700X was 1300 ansi lumens) and a reduced standby power consumption to less than 1watt.

Out of the box preset image setting on "cinema" for us needed a bit of tweaking. We reduced the brightness and contrast and increased the True Colour setting to +6 (via the advanced image settings tab). After that images looked much more natural, life like and the black levels noticeably better.

Image sharpness and clarity on the HD600X is much better than its predecessor but image noise handling is where the HD600X has really improved - rivalling projectors that cost around £150 - £200 more. (take a look at the pics on the slide show labelled "picture noise")

The HD600X has a slightly shorter throw lens compared to the HD700X but as ever zoom range is very very limited.

The Rainbow effect is apparent on the HD600X but slightly less than the HD700x as the HD600X has a 4 speed Colour wheel.

The HD600X is 3D ready with a refresh rate of 120Hz - If you intend on using the 3D capability of the HD600X you will need a pair of DLP display link glases - having spoken to Optoma, early indications are that the cost of these glasses will be in the region of £70.

In our opinion the HD600X has made a marked improvement on the HD700X especially in the areas of image clarity,black levels and picture noise handling. For the money the HD600X will be very hard to beat

Last edited:
Just ordered the HD600X... it'll be my first pj!

Should receive it within a couple of days.
I will post my first impressions if you're interested.

Isayisay: thanks that was the best I could find too, sounds like they liked it

Matheo44: that would be great thanks, where did you buy from?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks

Any idea what the correct lumens is? The Optoma site says 1600 and that e-bay advert says 1500?

Thanks Dan, may well end up buying from there

Hopefully an HD600x owners thread will start on here and we can get some proper feedback

lol how bout that! my HD600x just arrived today! really impressed with it so far but I wont get to test it properly until tonight (when its darker). currently have an awesome 106" screen : D

also as far as pictures there's another topic which had pictures kindly posted by Dave S

you can see them here.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/1240455-hd600x-hd-65-min-focus-distance.html

some time tonight I'll get some of my own pics up! and yes, we NEED an 600x owners thread lol, very little info about this projector....

+1. Play.com have these for £499 with a free 84" screen.
Who would have thought the day after buying mine that play.com would reduce their price by 100 and offer a free screen! cant help but lol

Last edited:
Who would have thought the day after buying mine that play.com would reduce their price by 100 and offer a free screen! cant help but lol
+1!

Got mine too yesterday.

Although, I find it tough to get the colour settings right!
I will try to calibrate it again tonight as atm, dark colours look black.

First impressions:
-very small and light,
-there's a carrying case included,
-very quiet!
-image quality is great (bright and sharp),
-there's some RBE but not to a point where it's disturbing.

Happy and very much satisfied so far!

It sounds superb so far. Could either of you try out some black/white content sometime (ideally with lots of panning shots)? That's the real litmus test for determining how well DLP projectors handle that rainbow effect.

Thanks to all contributors, sounds promising so far, roll on Weds [pay day!] :)

Hi there, people!
I'm really looking forward to buy an Optoma HD600X for myself and I like what I see here!
I'm new to the forum (and I'm from Portugal). Can you tell me where (in the forum) can I find some nice installation pictures and tips?
Thank you very much!

Did one of you manage to set it so blacks are ok?
I find it hard to get dark colours not to look black.

Other than that, bright colours look awesome, skin tones are perfect.

Would you recommend any calibration DVD for a newbie?
Something really simple like "bring the brightness up until a black square shows". I wouldn't need anything really high-end but simple and guided.

Thanks in advance

didn't need to tweak anything on mine, thought it looked great as it was. I don't really want to get too obsessive with making it the most perfect picture ever.

I just missed it too (checked a day after it was posted here). I'm wondering if the preceding HD700X went any lower than £500, because if so, it might be worth waiting on an equivalent drop with the HD600X.

I can't find any exceptions to that price... besides ebay traders, who scare me a little.

Last edited:
Any danger of a projector having the same price / deal for at least a day in a row? ***, never known a commodity like it...

Iam waiting for the world cup to finish before buying when hopefully a few good deals are to be had.

Hi everyone,

I think my HD600X has developed a fault.
Optoma wants me to send it back to them for examination.

Has someone experienced the whole process of sending a projector back to them?

I'm still a projector newbie... but I think there's something wrong.
Could someone confirm it is not something to deal with the settings or the setup?

Here's what it does:
When running in STD Lamp Mode, the projector switches itself regularly (around every 8mins) to what seems to be Bright Mode for about 30 secs (image appears brighter and the fan spins faster) and then switches back to STD Mode.

I understand the projector might need to cool itself a bit more from time to time and that the fan speed can increase; but why would the image be brighter too?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom