1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd600 or replace cable on hd590

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by StevieDvd, May 23, 2004.

1. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I've got the spend bug again and was wondering whether to try a replacement cable on the HD590s I have (though hard to find one with the connections) or to simply buy a set of the HD600s.

I'm also looking at a cmoy amp for listening from my pc. Are they easy to make or is Ebay the best place to pick up one pre-built?

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    It depends really, ask yourself are you happy with the HD590 sound, or do you want to change to a more refined, laid back sound with the HD600? You'll definitely need an amp to drive the HD600, and a CMOY really is the bare minimum.

We'd really like to know WHY you want to upgrade before we can suggest anything.

3. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Just a quick update. I bought the HD600 to try as I wanted another set of headphones anyway. Am waiting for cmoy amp to arrive as well.

Obviously my ears are not as discerning as I'd thought as both the HD590 and HD600 sound good to me. Perhaps it's the sources I'm using (PC, PDA, cheap min hi-fi or my AV - Marantz SR5400).

So if I upgrade the cables it's more likely to be for a thicker & shorter one that tangles less!

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd say it's more likely to be the source material than your ears,as the HD600's are very good indeed.
    I'd also agree that you'll need an amp,and would strongly recommend a good quality one,and consider routing the CD into it with as few other components in the chain as possible,if you do want a really good result...PC's are quite capable of very good quality if you use a good sound card like a Lynx or RME,so that may also be worth considering at some stage.

5. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Hopefully it's not my ears then, phew I can't afford to get them upgraded!

6. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Cardas cable is supposed to be a great upgrade for the HD 600s..[​IMG]

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Yeah, but for the same money, plus what you get for selling your HD600s second hand, you could buy a pair of HD650s.

8. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He doesn't have HD 600s, he has HD 590s...

I think ultimately I'd go for the HD 600s now and then eventually upgrade the cable on those...

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    He has both. Lucky boy! :D

I would see which you prefer - apparently they are very different in character (I have only heard the HD600). You might consider selling the 590s and purchasing an OEHLBACH HD600 replacement cable from Meier Audio:

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/

At €45 with no import duty to pay it looks like a worthwhile upgrade. I still can't believe how crappy the stock cable is.

I've just ordered a Headsave Go-Vibe from the US. I'll let you know how hard it gets hit by TARIC, but as it stands, the cost of the amp and shipping was only £50.

MuFu.

10. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, lucky indeed!! :D I've also read many positive comments about the OEHLBACH cable. Very reasonably priced, too..

11. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    This lucky boy is arranging to get the OEHLBACH cable for the HD650s anyway and if I can hear any difference with the cmoy amp I've ordered then a proper amp will be next in line. I don't think I'm likely to go for a real expensive replacement cable as my other equipment would not merit it.

I'm currently using the HD590s with my PDA when commuting, at least I can shut out the mobile phone users!

12. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nothing wrong with your ears. Nothing wrong with 590s either. Trust your ears.

Croc

13. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I'm at work and my Oehlbach cable for the HD600 has arrived at home. Will report initial reaction and hopefully a burned in one as well.

If only I could leave work now...!

14. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Have got the new Oehlbach cable fitted and am very pleased with it. Firstly as it is a heavier and less prone to kink. It's obviously not burned in yet (only used it last night) but the sound does appear richer and I can now make out a difference between the HD590 (std cable) and the HD600 (Oehlbach cable).

I will now replace the HD590 cable as it's so thin and snags/kinks so easily it gets on my nerves.

Oehlbach don't do a cable for the HD590 - anyone know of one that is reasonably priced (around £30 to £40)? I could get the bare Oehlbach cable from Meier but don't fancy the 2.5mm plug I would need to add.

15. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    thats interesting that you don't hear the difference between the hd590s and 600s. i demo-ed the hd590s when they first came out, when i had some hd580s and quite frankly, other than the 590s having a slightly deeper bass, the 580s walked straight over them in terms of detail, musiciality, life and air. i'd imagine the hd600s to do all that, plus much more treble detail. maybe wait till they run in- i'm pretty sure you'll be shocked at the differences once done!
    oh, and i personally wouldn't bother with an aftermarket cable for the hd590s unless the flimsiness of it bugs you so much - if it breaks, they have a 2 yr guarantee, in which Sennheiser WILL send out a replacement...

16. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also to note any official sennheiser dealer can get spare parts for their headphones for at least 7 years after the model ends and very often longer still!