1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd6 Hd7

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dups45, Aug 8, 2005.

1. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you guys like to see on the next sony mp3 HD player? I was having a think about this and i came to the conclusion that to truly beat the iPod and Creative they must

- Have some sort of scroll function like on the sony minidisc players
    - Simplify the software and enable music to be transferd to and from any PC
    - Maybe a colour screen to keep up with them, the Vaio already has this
    - Dont see any need to make the battery any better
    - Maybe a remote control, or some other functions like an FM radio and recording?

If they did this and kept the size of the HD5 then they would win the battle im my opinion. Im holding out to wait to see what the new player is like before i decided which 1 i am going to get, if i dont like it then the HD5 will be cheaper so i will get that instead

wat do you think they need to win? :confused:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Is a colour screen really necessary to display track information ? It will only shorten the battery life and it won't really add much to it.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say no to the colour screen. Pointless feature on most DAPs (unless designed specifically to handle video), and a wasteful drain on battery power.

Forget FM - DAB is the future. Put that on a player and things become a little more interesting.

Simpler software? Yes please!

Ooh, and yes, a neat scrolling thingy - though please, not a horrid jog-wheel - would be welcomed.

I'd add: on-board track/album/artist delete; scrolling of all fields once when tracks are first played, and not limiting the number of characters to a paltry 60; a decent carry case; and the ability to view all tracks by an artist.

Not an exhaustive list, but a start ...

4. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I jus remeberd, a dock wud also be good, as an accessory, not everymight want one, but i think they are pritty good and useful! The scroll i was refering to is shown in the following two pics, i wud really love one of them on the next hd...i also think they should go back to the size of the hd1 etc...although im sure u will all hate me for that!

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/products/picture/MZ-DH10P_B.jpg

http://www.auction-air.com/2001_cycle02/images/sony_minidisc_h200.jpg

sorry, didnt know how to load the pics!

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Whilst keeping the portrait orientation ...... a return to the build quality of the materials used in the NW-HD1.

6. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need to:
    1) Keep the good features of the HD5 (removable battery, battery life) or improve on them. While this may seem obvious IMO iRiver made the mistake of dropping a lot of what made its players appealing in going from the 320/340 series to the newer H10 model. Wasn't popular with the fans of the brand and its prob not gonna make anyone buy iRiver over an ipod.
    2) Fix build quality issues.
    3) Colour screens a la the X5 and phot ipod not really necessary though Sony may feel the need to add this to avoid looking like it is left behind. OLED screen might be a nice compromise.
    4) UI. Hmmm. Haven't really used the HD5s buttons to scroll through a larrge library so I cannot say how it would compare to the admittedly pretty cool click-wheel. Don't want a Creative style touch-strip. I think Sony has to go one of either two ways: keep the buttons and mabe go for something more pressure-sensitive to control scrolling speed or go all out and rip off the ipod with a click-wheel interface. Apple would never challenge the patent which would never stand up in court. Of course the danger is in making the player look too much like a 4th gen iPod.
    5) Looks: I'm pretty fond of all the designs churned out in this series so far.
    6) Sonicstage: Continue to improve. 3.2 sounds like Sony has been listening so it would make sense to have a really good piece of software in time for their next HD release. Version 4 should have a lossless version of ATRAC. Would be cool if it was also something you might want to use on your PC to listen to music like iTunes.
    7) Dreaming here but more codec support. OGG, FLAC if no lossless ATRAC. Don't "cripple" the mp3 capabilities of the new player as it seems was done for this model. Gapless mp3 as done in the VAIO would get a lot of attention from some people.
    8) Once again a bit hopeful but make all the drm stuff fully optional for atrac and mp3 and loosen up with this whole ability to transfer stuff back to the PC.
    9) FM and voice recording would be nice but might spoil the form function. Solution....
    10) Accessories. FM recording/broadcasting, voice recording, digital camera interface, range of different case choices. This stuff makes a difference.
    Thats it...for now.
    EDIT
    11) Playlisting. Sort this out. On the go and all that.
    12) Maybe try and incorporate a more powerful headphone amp. In terms of sound quality it seems this is where the current models may fall somewhat short. Then again battery life may suffer.

7. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I would consider buying one if:

Tone down the bass a little.

Make it compatible with mac formats as welll as pc.

firewire as well as usb2 connection.

Get rid of sonic stage software

be able to play any files wma,aac,atrac, loseless.

A dock.

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I think we're stuck with it cos

a) Sony have built up the DRM now
    b) Recently added PSP support - thats not going anywhere
    c) Major firmware changes for their players to work with new software?

anyway, I don't think its too bad with a little patience. I've tried worse. Its just the ott DRM management. Its too restrictive

DAB - not for years. Portable handheld DABs are £50 - cheapest - and need 4 batteries! Have you seen them as well? On their own they're OK, but add to a HD DAP, it would be too thick

9. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh i dont think we have seen the last of sonic stage, sony have spent too much money on it to simply drop it from all their hardware, oh well, its a small price to pay for an amazing player

10. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All you have to do is fiddle with the EQ to tone the bass down, it can even be done on mp3 files by using the customisable digital sound preset. I quiite agree with your other points though :D

11. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot - 40gig hd. This is doable at the same size as the 20/30gig drives in the HD5 series.
    Mac/Linux compatability wouldn't be unwelcome either but once again I think I am drifting into the realm of fantasy...
    hh

12. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought of something, if they were going to make a dock for this walkman, wudnt they need to connect it via usb...which is on top of the player?

Therefore wudnt they have to redesign the player if they wer going to have a dock, or have a really weird dock?

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    The iPod isn't exactly bulky....so if Sony made DAPs that size, they could add more features.

Even an extra cm here and there is OK by me.

The only reason the Sony HD DAPs are so small is that Sony have deliberately only made it an audio player. No photo viewing, videos, FM, in line recording or whatever.

Thats why they can also get away with a tiny screen

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, Sony - don't go iPod sized!! Reason I chose the HD5 (among others) was its size. And I think the reason Sony make things so small is the Jap fascination with, and expertise at, electronic miniturisation. All good in my book :smashin:

15. Endeavour1934

Endeavour1934

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only want a player with NW-HDx size and capacity, AND no background hiss.

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    No, I didn't really mean iPod sized. All things considered the iPod isn't bulky. Sony could just add an xtra cm for a larger screen, higher capacity batt or a better control schema

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh. I see. Sorry. And yes, compared with the Zen Touch, the iPod is positively anorexic.

18. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ability to queue tracks on the fly (like ipod's party shuffle feature) would be a big feature for me. It's the only thing that's stopped me buying a HD5 and would stop me buying an HD6, 7 etc. etc.

19. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dream on fellas, companies have lost all sense of quality/detail/perfection, I think ill write a review on the HD5 when my exams are over. Hmmm....

20. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the sony shop on friday and they told me that they were getting a new player in the "fore see able future" what ever that means! Hopefully it will come out before christmas, because i dont intend on waiting that long for one, im going away in novemeber and i deffinatly want it before i go. If the new iPod is any good, i might actually consider that, unless the sony is suprerior of course ;)

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Wait a week or two after any new player from any company comes out. Just to make sure no cracking buttons, background hiss, terrible UI or dodgy firmware bugs

22. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea LFC, but in some cases some problems people don't ever encounter, or don't consider it a problem even though other people do. For example, i waited a while after the HD5's release before i got one, because it wasn't available yet in my country, but from the reviews and forums I didn't get a problem list half as big as the one i encountered myself. If i had read some of shadowritten's posts i might have changed my mind, but even still i discovered more problems my self when i got the unit. hehehe.

23. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I understand you, Sasso :confused:

24. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know, you discovered some problems, so im saying that if you'd have discovered them before i got the HD5, i might have changed my mind...but its all good, I still like the HD5. I just hope someone as observant as you gets hold of the HD6 before I buy it ;)

25. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got you.

Will I buy Sony's next player? Probably not. Only because I'm quite content with the HD5H. I'll probably just sit and wait and watch forums like this, gauge reactions to the next couple of HD ... whatevers, then pick my moment. I'm guessing that in two years' time, 20GB HDDs will be considered old hat; new models by all the top manufacturers will start at 40GB, then have 60GB, 80GB and 100GB HDD players. The last of these interests me the most ...

26. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am very surprised that Sony haven't yet implemented their Jog-Dial's into the HD series of MP3 players. They seem to have been very prominent on some of the better Mini-Disc's of the past few years... As well as a number of their phones.

I would like to see a side scroll wheel (Think: Sony J6 phone), or perhaps something similar to the scroll wheel on the Nokia 7110... It seems a good idea seeing as how they put in a name search feature on the HD5 (One of it's better features over the HD3 I might add)

I would also like to see a dedicated "Group" button, such as those found on Mini-Disc players (Ie, the MZN10) ~ I hate having to take my Walkman out of my pocket, and fumble around with the display to change to the next album. I have found myself having to use my Mini-Disc in-line remote just to use this one feature...

They should also improve on the software lag of the player. Scrolling through hundreds / thousands of tracks get's a bit monotonous after a while, especially when it lags behind and you have to wait for it to catch up...

I also agree that they should do away with the SonicStage software for transferring files to the unit, and adopt a simple "Drag & Drop". It should be able to just play native MP3 files from the offset, same as most mobiles do these days.

It's very annoying when I want to just transfer one or two tracks, but have to go through the rigorous pricess of having to import them into SonicStage first, and then onto the unit... Not good if you are in a hurry to catch a train, but really really want those tracks on there...

27. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are all starting to sway me away from the sony now, great peice of hardware, but a s*** peice of software! im scared that the sony will not be able to do what i want it to do, wheras i no the iPod will do that, im actually considering the 20gig with colour screen and get a battery pack for it!

28. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more. As for the jog dial thing, I'm not so sure. Bit of a retro step IMO. At least with touch-sensitive or flush buttons, there's a reduced risk of dirt or dust getting in behind the controls and knackering functionality. Stopped buying Sony Ericsson phones 'cos the way this happens on their 'joy stick' style controls. And aren't jog wheels in general notorious for developing problems - or did I dream this?

29. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thing with touch sensitive controls is they can still cause a lag, or become jumpy from being too sensitive.

I think when Sony announced the HD5 would have a motion sensitive screen display, I was amazed. Shame they couldn't deliver. That would be a nice touch for future models though, if they can pull it off...

I also think a suitable cradle for future models would have to be a must. Nobody wants to have their Walkman just lying there on their desk / lap / dangling by the wires... Plus, a Walkman in a cradle not in use looks so damn swish on your desk! ~ I don't use my Mini-Disc much any more, but I keep it sitting there in the cradle just because it looks cool! :cool:

30. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh i said a cradle would be a good idea, but from the postioning of the usb port on the HD5 they wud have to have a weird cradle or redesign the player