1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5H hard drive size?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by richjar, Jul 2, 2005.

1. richjar

richjar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post, so sorry if its a silly question but just got hold of my HD5H30gb and when I connect to my pc it says I only have 27.9gb despite that fact that its empty.

Any ideas?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    this should be right. Some space is taken up for software etc. Its like this with all drives, no matter what size.

e.g my 20gb HD3 actually gives you 18.6gb

3. richjar

richjar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, I suspected as much. thanks for your help

4. elbarto000

elbarto000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the same 2.1gb for software on the player is a bit hard to believe its not that complex!

I think it is more to do with the fact that there is no way for HDD manufacturers to get exactly 30gb capacity on each hdd some lucky people will have something like 28.9 others will be less lucky like ourselves only getting 28.1 or 27.9!

But I think it is a bit of a gip that you are promised 30gb for the device and you don't get that. Surely they could analyse each device and release only those that are close to 30gb or make manufacture the devices at 36 gb so that it will always be 30gb or above guaranteed!

5. richjar

richjar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree! Losing 2gb does seem a bit unfair - thats the size of some players. Its a good few albums worth...

6. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because there's a discrepancy between how your OS measures drive space and how hard drive manufacturers and computer companies measure drive space.

It all boils down to the following:
    1 Kilobyte = 1024 bytes (well established in computer speak)
    1 Kilobyte = 1000 bytes (according to drive manufacturers looking to inflate apparent drive sizes)

A formula to convert "retail size" to "actual size.":

Actual Drive Size = Retail Drive Size * 0.931

This assumes that the manufacturer is using 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes (instead of 1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes as they should).

7. 17mika

17mika

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totaly agree. Is Somthing you can see on every hard disk.

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You also lose a certain amount of HD space depending on how the drive is formatted, but in this case, the majority is attributed to the old 1000=1024 manufacturers "scam"